Anyone recording horn parts?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gen5020
Active
Active

Anyone recording horn parts?

Post by gen5020 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:58 am

I tried to write for the listing about a month ago, something about a game show ending song, going to commercials etc... When I got the critique back they said exactly what I thought they would say, "nice song but your brass and sax parts sound too sampled". I don't have cheap equipment (Korg Extreme and Yamaha Motif) but I absolutely cannot make the horns sound authentic.So, my question is this, do I go out and hire some real players (more money )or can you turn me onto some great samples or can you give me some hints to turn what I have into authentic sounding horns?Thanks for any help.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Anyone recording horn parts?

Post by davewalton » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:19 am

I don't have any personal experience with this particular package, but it's representative of the realism that can be achieved with software based virtual instruments. http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detailDemos.html?769

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:41 am

Well, sax and horns are much harder to do than anything else. The reason is that the inflections are so subtle.If you can, stick to short notes, and if you use long ones then move the dynamics around so they don't sound static. Also try and distract from them by having a lot going on in the arrangement.

rook1870

Post by rook1870 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:00 am

Youmay want to invest in a midi wind controller; that way you can control the notes with your keyboard, but get the velocity and dynamics from the controller. Just my two cents.I personally do my midi with guitar. Works great for strings; but brass is a little harder due to the dynamics.Rook

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:52 am

Yea, horn sections are tough, especially saxes. There are some good brass libraries out there (I've got Quantum Leap Brass for GigaStudio), and Garritan has just brought out his Jazz and Big Band library. There should be some demos on the Northern Sounds website.But back to saxes --- personally, I'd hire a sax player and have him overdub several parts. It's amazing how one live player mixed with samples can change the sound and feel of the tune.My 2 cents ---Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:21 pm

Northern Sounds RIP

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:37 pm

Quote:Northern Sounds RIP Yea, Nick, where ya been!? What's going on with NS?Ern

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Another option (for saxes) is Liquid Sax by Ueberschall which uses phrases you can manipulate with the Melodyne engine, which makes them extremely flexible. I think they're supposed to come out with more brass titles later (yes I know the sax i technically a woodwind ): http://www.ueberschall.com/I don't own this btw...Quote:It's amazing how one live player mixed with samples can change the sound and feel of the tune.I agree 100%. I've done a ton of salsa music, and I always use a "hybrid horn section", a mix of midi parts and myself playing the trumpet over the top (2 or 3 parts). Depending on the arrangement, I might additionally hire a trombone and/or sax player.The last thing is of course to write authentic parts. If you know how to write for brass it will sound better right off the bat. You can also program your Tpt and Tbone patches with a low pass filter controlled by the mod wheel, which allows for reasonably realistic swells/sfz/decresc gestures on long notes.I still use an old trombone patch from the TG-500 I programmed that way, it just works...matto

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:51 pm

Quote:Quote:Northern Sounds RIP Yea, Nick, where ya been!? What's going on with NS?Ern What happend....what I miss guys?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:04 pm

Looks the same to me