PC computers

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Re: PC computers

Post by 53mph » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:26 am

Zink, surely if you defrag the drives regularly it won't be a problem?In the past drives were more unstable than nowdays and there was a problem with big drives and slim drives. I don't think it's an issue these days.A quick note I heard about RAID. If one drive becomes faulty you loose the info on both drives. This doesn't happen on ordinary drives. With ordinary hard drives you can swap them with no effect to the system...with RAID you can't. It's very hard to replace drives. Please correct me if I'm wrong.With multiple drives the most important thing is the speed of the drive, seek time etc...and how you organise the drives.The idea is to have your system on one drive along with your recording software (ie Pro Tools). The other drive should be used for your soft synths, samplers, romplers, VI's blah blah and for your recording softwares temp folder.If your super flashy you'll have 3 drives and divide them even more.The idea is to reduce the amount of work that each drive has to do and reduce the amount of info that has to be retrieved and written to each drive to make your work flow smoother and prone to less errors or overloading.Personally I'm a lazy sod and use only one drive for everything. So far it works for me.It really depends on your working habits.If you record with a minimal setup Ie 1 vocal and live piano and guitar, then you don't have much call for all that extra RAM, Hard drive space for VI's etc....you can live quite comfortably with a simple system.If you use a hat load of synths, effects, VI's blah blah then the super duper system is more your thing.Me, I'm somewhere in the middle. I use a few VI's that I love and trust and play everything else live. Recently I stripped my system of all the effects I don't ever use, VI's I don't ever use and samples I don't ever use....often it's very tempting to have your system chock full of synths and effects you never use. They just take up memory I could use for something else.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:33 pm

I don't use any, gunter. The only OS X "viruses" have just come out, and there are two things to do to avoid them: 1. don't decompress and install strange programs, even if they promise to be naked photos of the next Mac OS version; and 2. turn off the Open Safe Files After Downloading preference in Safari.

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Quote:even if they promise to be naked photos of the next Mac OS versionmmm....photos.....*drool*Here's a link to some info on the newly found virus.http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index. ... pic=102379