PC computers

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

PC computers

Post by nomiyah » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:18 am

What specs do you recommend for a PC running ProTools? My computer has problems and I'm probably going to get a new one soon. Besides recording, I also want it to hold a database and graphics program.I'd like to hear what specs work for you guys on PC. Hard drive size, speed, etc. I prefer laptops to desktops but would love opinions on that too. Thanks.Nomi

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: PC computers

Post by ernstinen » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:25 pm

As 53mph says, music computers would keep problems to a minimum, but are VERY expensive. When I bought a PC for Pro Tools, I thought I'd take a chance on a refurbished computer. Here was the deal --- A small computer store bought a bunch of brand new Compaq P4s that people were returning to Costco because "they didn't work." Well, the computer store knew that this was because of a "worm" that was prevalent at that time. All they had to do was clean out the computers, and then resell them for a big profit.The bottom line --- I got a "new" PC with all the bells and whistles, plus Firewire to my Digi002, for $500! Now, I only use it for mastering (2 tracks), but if works fine for that.On the other hand, I had a PC custom-built for GigaStudio because I heard that was the way to go, and it cost me a bundle. It works pefectly, and I don't regret spending the $$.So I've done both the "cheap route" and the "expensive route." --- And I still sequence on an old PowerMac! Ern

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Quote:Ern, Do you like the Digi002? (I expect you do.) I would love to get one. But I might get the Project Studio I/O instead because of the price tag. Do you have an opinion?I still want recommendations about hard drive size, processor speed, RAM, etc.Yea, I love the 002 because I'm an old analog guy and I like to push real buttons! I'm running 3 computers, and it's nice to have a "real" hardware mixer.As far as computer specs, my "refurbished" PC is pretty basic by 2006 standards --- 2gHz P4, and only 512 RAM. (RAM-wise, get as much as you can afford.) But the hard drive is, I believe, 180Gb. Most people, though, run two HDs, one dedicated to samples/recording. I don't, and haven't had problems. But it's probably a good idea, given that HDs are so cheap these days.Seriously, PCs definitely have the most bang for the buck, but if I had the $$ I'd go for Macs! They are just the cream of the crop, IMHO.Good Luck,Ern

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:39 am

'Sounds' like 'sound' advice. I'd been musing between laptop and desktop myself... and wondered if I should have a dedicated system. Now I know.TksH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Quote:I don't know exactly what Virtual Instruments means. Virtual instruments are basically collections of high quality sound samples for your computer. These sound samples are stored on your hard drive and they're generally organized and collected into single "packages". There are orchestra packages, piano packages, choirs, synths, guitars, bass guitars, ethnic instruments, etc. In most cases, they work like the real thing and certainly sound like the real thing because they're real sound recordings of the real thing, only they're triggered by playing notes on your midi keyboard. In an orchestra package if you have a patch selected called something like "18 violins legato", when you press middle C on your keyboard, you trigger the digital recording of 18 violins playing that note. Ultra realism.As an example, there is a virtual instrument called the "B4", a virtual Hammond B3. If you've ever been a part of lugging one of those monsters up or down a couple flights of steps, you'll really appreciate the fact that the virtual version comes on a CD and you can put it in your front pocket. Here is what it looks like on your screen:www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/PrivateArea/b4.jpgIn the software you have access to everything you see. You can pull the drawbars in and out, turn nobs, etc. The keys go up and down as you're playing your midi keyboard. This beyond what I can describe here but essentially you set up your midi keyboard to play the sound samples in your virtual instrument. Your midi keyboard becomes this instrument (or whatever virtual instrument you're using). Does that make sense? Here is another link to a company that sells a lot of these things. You'll see what I mean about the variety of instruments available.www.soundsonline.comQuote:Or are you talking about having two computer monitors?That would be two computer monitors. When you have all this software stuff like Sonar and a bunch of virtual instruments, you can't have enough monitor real estate.It's almost impossible to fully explain the whole thing, you just have to go to a local music store and get a quick demo. I've probably created more questions than I've answered. The first time you see everything together its a real "Ah Ha!" moment.Dave

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Quote:if I get a dedicated desktop, I could go for Mac.YESSSS!!!!!!!you won't regret it!!!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:19 am

Quote:I didn't know the term but what you call VI I think of as samples. I have these on CDs and MPC discs currently.Actually, Virtual Instruments and samples are not the same thing...many VI's use samples (but by far not all; the B4 for example doesn't), but as Nick pointed out, what makes a VI a VI is that it exists in software inside your computer.Some of the advantages of VI's over hardware is that they (at least the sample based ones) typically sound far better (due to vastly bigger sample sizes), are a lot cheaper, have 100% total recall when used as plugins inside your DAW (in other words when you save your session, all the parameters for all of your sounds are saved with it), and enable you to mix entirely in software, which means you can export your entire mix as an audiofile and you won't have any noise from ground loops or other analog connection issues.And of course they take up a lot less space...

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:03 am

Great info. I think I may as well get a desktop PC. My 16 yr old cousin is a computer whiz. He can build a desktop PC at a really great price.Now let's get to the really valuable information. The specs. So far from this thread's advice, I'd ask for 3Ghz plus processor, 2Gigs plus RAM, dual hard drives, firewire, dual monitors.How about hard drive size? How about sound cards?Meanwhile, I'll go check out the Digidesign site. Thanks.Nomi

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:13 am

I personally wouldn't recommend choosing Windows over Mac because of the number of cheap plug-ins you can run. There are good reasons to choose either platform, but to me that comes way down the line.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:15 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give me advice. Really appreciate it.