Question About Voice Recording

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ruserious

Question About Voice Recording

Post by ruserious » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:59 am

I use a Foxtex 8 track digital recorder with a Samson Q7 Mic. The trouble I am having is in getting a crisp/Loud vocal recording after I transfer to my Mac Garageband software. Making matters worse when I try to increase the track volume to get the needed presence, it pushes the track into the red. Consequently I wind up having to edit the volume numerous times on multiple tracks to get to a passable mix. I must be doing something wrong. Does any of this sound familar to some of you more experienced professionals out there? I've got a couple of tracks uploaded to my website that you can listen to to get an idea of my recording quality. Just follow the link below. Best ones would be Same Sex Marriage and Weapons of Mass Distraction. The other two I know need work. Thanks for any and all help.

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Question About Voice Recording

Post by 53mph » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:42 am

What soundcard are you using on your computer?Digital recorders usually have good headphone monitoring so the vocal will sound good coming from the Fostex, but if youre then listening to the transfered track via an inbuilt Soundblaster soundcard on your computer it won't sound as good.You shouldn't have to boost the vocal volume to make it sound better.Try using some compression and limiting to prevent the peaking. Then if you're already happy with the vocal sound try to eq the other instruments until the vocal sounds better.The frequencies in accoustic guitar sounds can be similar to that of the voice and if you've got a bass then that will battle with the bass frequencies of your voice.Most problems with vocals can be resolved by eliminating frequencies in other instruments in the mix.If you want a quick fix solution for vocals, have a look for the Antares Avox software bundle. It's got some good vocal tools (but you'll need to learn how to use them). A little tool I like using is called Bass Sonic Maximiser. It's very good for giving my voice more clarity, and it's easy as sin to use.I hope this is some help.