Which Sampler Should I Get?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Which Sampler Should I Get?

Post by gongchime » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:36 pm

There are two recording studios worth talking about. The first one in my city is very high end. They would never even be able to book me in most likely unless I could fork over a serious amount of dough. The other one has an engineer who is a bit strange. I still plan to use them but I thought it would be prohibitively expensive even in that case because of what I imagine the recording process would be like. So, I'm trying to do as much of the production myself before I give it to them to mix. But I wan't brought up playing Southeast Asian instruments so it's a bit of a struggle. Even an experienced melodic percussionist would have to practice their ass off to learn my music even if it's not technichally difficult for them because of the length of some parts. As it is right now, I write parts that I can play but I can only play some of them in hockett. This means that for a fast high accompaniment instrument such as the Indonesian Peking, I play maybe four 16th notes on one track and the next four 16th notes on another track and the next four 16th notes on another track etc... until I've filled up the board then I go back and do it again without bouncing until that instruments part is finished for that section of music. It takes forever sometimes for me to figure out where I am in the music after awhile. Then I have to bounce everything down and do it again for the next instrument. On the BR 1180 I end up filling all the virtual tracks and real tracks before I can finish a tune then I have to go back and erase the one's I don't need anymore. Needless to say it's a VERY time consuming process to produce music this way. In my mind I imagine the engineers face after 15 minutes of this: nonverbally communicating something along the lines of "Oh, Dear God please stop me from strangling this guy!"Gongchime

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:25 am

Sorry about your life, Gongchime, but is there anything you'd like me to say? Just let me know and I'd be happy to post it. So far I haven't had anything to add to this thread, which is the only reason I haven't added anything.

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gongchime » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Dear Nick,no. I'm fine. Don't worry. I'm feeling much better now. For anyone whose interested, here is a mp3 of one of my backgrounds/textures which is for improvising over or playing the main melody on top of.http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/transm ... 1Gongchime