audio software

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

christigreen

audio software

Post by christigreen » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:36 am

I have read through some of the techno threads re: software, computers etc. Like some before me I'm looking to purchase new software and I'm wanting some feedback on Pro Tools and Logic or any other software suggestions. I have read up on Pro tools LE. It seems to be reasonable both in price and application.Here's what I want to do. I want to be able to record my own vocals, bass, guitar etc, as well as some midi (Roland V drums). I also want to experiment and eventually utilize some of the plug in sounds as well. I want to do great demos and broadcast quality recordings.I am currently using a Roland 1824 to do demos etc. I do perform live so I have mics, amps, Mackie 1604 mixer, Korg 01W keyboard, etc. I currently have a G4 dual processor and I will be sticking with the Mac platform. I'm not afraid of a learning curve but I'm a musician first and don't want something overly cumbersome, yet at the same time I don't want to be limited. Can anyone make any suggestions as to what they would do in my situation? Am I on track with Pro Tools LE?Thanks in advance for your feedback. Christi

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: audio software

Post by guscave » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:54 am

Hi Christi,Sounds to me you're on the right track with Protools LE. Logic is nice (I use it too), but IMO the learning curve is wider than protools. Best to ya

christigreen

Post by christigreen » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:10 am

Thanks for the feedback. Can you expand any on the pro's of Logic over Protools if any.Christi

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:04 pm

I've got a Digi 002 running LE on a PC, and like it a lot.Currently, I use it only for stereo mastering, so I'm not really "recording tracks" with it, but lots of people think it's great.I had another recording engineer/musician that I know switch to Logic Platinum because he wanted to stay on a Mac. A client that records in both of our studios tells me our buddy has problems with Logic, but it could just be user error!I really like the 002 mixer because I'm an old analog guy, and I like buttons to push!Ern

christigreen

Post by christigreen » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:25 pm

Thanks for the input Ern! Christi

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:01 am

Quote:Thanks for the feedback. Can you expand any on the pro's of Logic over Protools if any.ChristiWell with PT LE you're limited to 32 tracks. Also as a personal note, I like the transperacy in Logics sound engine better than PT. To me it seems like I don't need to over-add eq's & efx to get the sounds I'm looking for. And yes I had a harder time learning to use Logic than I did with Protools and Cubase SX.

christigreen

Post by christigreen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:41 am

That's very useful info. I've finished watching the quicktime overview of Logic 7 off the Apple site. It seems that they have addressed some of these issues and have made some things easier. One thing that I have to keep reminding myself is the more you add to the program the more there is to learn. One thing that is impressing me re:Logic is the instrument patches and amp simulators. Are you liking those?Christi

christigreen

Post by christigreen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:49 am

As I have been researching the software the issue of hardware comes up. I want to do firewire connections. I'm considering some of the Mackie gear especially if I end up going with Logic 7. Does anyone have any opinions on the Mackie gear? I'm looking at the C4 controller and one of the Onyx Preamps. I'm open to suggestions re: other brands as well. If anyone could offer up any considerations I'd be extremely grateful. Christi

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:56 am

Hi Christi,Unfortunately, I don't have any info on the C4, but one of the biggest advantages of getting a Digi02 is that you get a hardware piece that works solid with the incorporated software (protools LE). You won't have to worry about if the controller or interface you're buying works well with your software or not, or spend hours or days tweeking everything to work together.If later you decide you want to go with Logic, no problem. I know several producers who are running Logic on Digi02 and even on an HD.

augustheat
Impressive
Impressive

Post by augustheat » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:17 pm

For whatever it's worth...I used Pro Tools on both Mac and PC for years. it's a great program, and I really have nothing bad to say about it.That being said, I dumped PT and went with Logic. I love the plug-ins, the software instruments, the integration with Apple Loops, etc. I too heard the learning curve was going to be difficult. To my surprise, it wasn't at tough at all!I must admit that Martin Sitter, who wrote the Certified Apple Training book for Logic, makes it quite easy. He also has some video training sessions, which really helped a lot. (No, I don't know the man...)Having used Logic for some time now, I would never go back to Pro Tools. I like too mix in coffee shops, or get outside of the studio with my PB. With a PTLE system, you have to lug the hardware with you if you take it portable. I don't want to have to hook up to something to work.Truth be told (my opinion) Logic is more professional hands down...Blessings,
Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN