Write a Song Backwards?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Write a Song Backwards?

Post by suzdoyle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:38 am

Hey gang;My comedy improv troupe did this fun improv game in which an interviewer and interviewee conduct an interview backwards. It starts with the last line of the interview and works backwards, with each actor making up a line which justifies what was said in the previous one. It's tricky!Which made me wonder about writing a songs backwards -- WANNA TRY? If so, I'll start by providing the last line of the chorus. The next person could copy and paste the below "framework" into an email, and add the 3rd line (that has to justify and make sense of the 4th line). The next person would copy/ paste that, and add line 2 (which has to justify and make sense with lines 3 & 4) and so on until we reach the first line of verse 1.SHALL we play? If so, jump on in!! And remember, we're writing this BACKWARDS from the last line to the first. Wheeeeeee!Suz************************BACKWARDS SONGThe newest Top 40 Hit singleby Assorted Taxi Co-hortsFinal chorus : Line 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.Line 3.Line 2. Line 1.VERSE 3:Line 4Line 3Line 2Line 1BRIDGE:Line 4Line 3Line 2Line 1CHORUS(same as above)VERSE 2:Line 4Line 3Line 2Line 1CHORUS(same as above)VERSE 1:Line 4Line 3Line 2Line 1TITLE:____________________________**************************

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Write a Song Backwards?

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:55 am

Holy Moley...that'll take some work. But I promise to try and chime in for one line or another.No matter what, this will be fun to observe the process.
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:57 am

Final chorus : Line 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.Line 3. And then you pushed me to the floorLine 2.
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 am

Mar 20, 2009, 1:57pm, tedsingingfox wrote:Final chorus : Line 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.Line 3. And then you pushed me to the floorLine 2. I was going faster than a Pinto on speed
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Line 1: When you kissed me 'til I couldn't breathe,

jwebbinspired
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jwebbinspired » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Line 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.Line 3. And then you pushed me to the floor Line 2. I was going faster than a Pinto on speed Line 1: When you kissed me 'til I couldn't breathe,Verse 3Line 4: And that's when I always remember,

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:33 pm

It's been done, to great effect:John Lennon heard Yoko playing Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on the piano. --- Of course, Lennon liked to experiment, so he told her to play it backwards.The result? "Because," off of Abbey Road!I also tried this musically (not lyrically) when a horn band I was in wanted to be more "democratic" and wanted me and our alto sax player to have less "power" over arrangements.We picked a song, and the horn section wrote down their parts and played them backwards.The result? A complete, f*ckin' MESS! Those were the days --- Ern

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:21 pm

I wanted to do this one time, remembering the Seinfeld episode where the show started at the end and ended at the beginning - but I figured it would fry a few brains in Nashville (including mine) and never did it. Might just rethink it and try again...

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Verse 3 line 3: So I look at that scar on my left arm

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey, you just screwed up our rhyming scheme! Not that it ever bothered me on my own songs, mind you.