Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The journey or the destination?

Post by Mark Kaufman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:43 am

It's always the journey for me. Because once you reach your destination...isn't it time for another journey again? Kinda like the act of love, you know...I mean, do you REALLY want to hurry to that finish line??

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Quote:It's always the journey for me. Because once you reach your destination...isn't it time for another journey again? Kinda like the act of love, you know...I mean, do you REALLY want to hurry to that finish line?? True, true.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:31 pm

I would agree that if you don't enjoy the journey, the destination will have little meaning.For me it goes in phases, in the beginning it was all about the journey, then, after I eyed a destination it became perhaps more about it to some degree.After I reached my initial destination of doing music for a living, it became more about the journey again...unless I have a project with a tight deadline, then it's more destination again.I think they are the yin and yang of all creative endeavors. matto

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Quote:My son on the other hand is a song machine. He could literally do several songs a day just because, if he had the time. He's still young and in love with it. Doesn't want to care about the money part of it yet. He leaves that to Mom and Dad. Umm, I think your son and I were separated at birth. Can I come home now?

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:35 pm

Quote:I would agree that if you don't enjoy the journey, the destination will have little meaning.For me it goes in phases, in the beginning it was all about the journey, then, after I eyed a destination it became perhaps more about it to some degree.After I reached my initial destination of doing music for a living, it became more about the journey again...unless I have a project with a tight deadline, then it's more destination again.I think they are the yin and yang of all creative endeavors. mattoHey, Matt. I think that's what it's all about, trying to enjoy the journey at first with your eyes on a possible goal and then once you attain that goal, being happy with what you've done, but still striving for future goals. Sounds like you've achieved that balance. And you're very successful to boot. And Che, you had some good points about balance too.....I like to write all the time myself, but I'm not concerned sometimes with production of my songs....I need to work on that one.

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:39 am

Quote:Quote:My son on the other hand is a song machine. He could literally do several songs a day just because, if he had the time. He's still young and in love with it. Doesn't want to care about the money part of it yet. He leaves that to Mom and Dad. Umm, I think your son and I were separated at birth. Can I come home now? LOL!! Man, now I'm certain I must be your long lost sister!! Raags
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 am

...and now I see this!I didn't used to believe in fate, however the older/slightly wiser I get the more I notice open doors and possibilities to create our own fate, to mold our own futures. A few months ago I simply sat down at my desk, put on my headphones and said "right this is it" since then, although my journey is so far short - nevertheless it's been pretty sweet! I've met some wonderful people. I've been pointed in the right direction and I've come to realise that there is a hell of a lot more to this than I originally thought (which was kind of on the lines of "I know I can do this")! I suspect a lot of you have been there! The more I explore the more I feel lost but somehow I just know I'm not alone, I'm just following the learning curve. It's a matter of patients and looking out for those open doors. It's about exploring each area of the journey, getting excited, getting knocked back, getting out again and finding another foothold. It's amazing and yet frightening at times!A few weeks ago I welcomed my very first piano into the house, a bit shabby round the edges but I'm proud of it! I also joined a band. That wouldn't have happened if I hadn't put on those headphones and picked up that pen. I used to write without thinking, now I think I'm thinking (at least trying to)! Example... Yesterday I was warming up a bowl of soup standing right next to the microwave with pen and paper writing about some poor woman who's being treated badly by her partner...and I'm right there, I am that person, I really did have my back against the wall and I felt the fear, but he's actually shouting at me about my soup boiling over and I'm back in the kitchen with a microwave to clean up but quite a nifty first verse!For me, right now, it' the journey. It's brilliant. I don't have a destination, I'm just happy with what's gradually unfolding before me. Like getting on a train to a town you know nothing about, there's going to be so much to discover when I get there and then I'll just move on somewhere else.Thanks for reading this far, thanks Chits for this thread.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:32 am

Quote:...and now I see this!I didn't used to believe in fate, however the older/slightly wiser I get the more I notice open doors and possibilities to create our own fate, to mold our own futures. A few months ago I simply sat down at my desk, put on my headphones and said "right this is it" since then, although my journey is so far short - nevertheless it's been pretty sweet! I've met some wonderful people. I've been pointed in the right direction and I've come to realise that there is a hell of a lot more to this than I originally thought (which was kind of on the lines of "I know I can do this")! I suspect a lot of you have been there! The more I explore the more I feel lost but somehow I just know I'm not alone, I'm just following the learning curve. It's a matter of patients and looking out for those open doors. It's about exploring each area of the journey, getting excited, getting knocked back, getting out again and finding another foothold. It's amazing and yet frightening at times!A few weeks ago I welcomed my very first piano into the house, a bit shabby round the edges but I'm proud of it! I also joined a band. That wouldn't have happened if I hadn't put on those headphones and picked up that pen. I used to write without thinking, now I think I'm thinking (at least trying to)! Example... Yesterday I was warming up a bowl of soup standing right next to the microwave with pen and paper writing about some poor woman who's being treated badly by her partner...and I'm right there, I am that person, I really did have my back against the wall and I felt the fear, but he's actually shouting at me about my soup boiling over and I'm back in the kitchen with a microwave to clean up but quite a nifty first verse!For me, right now, it' the journey. It's brilliant. I don't have a destination, I'm just happy with what's gradually unfolding before me. Like getting on a train to a town you know nothing about, there's going to be so much to discover when I get there and then I'll just move on somewhere else.Thanks for reading this far, thanks Chits for this thread.Good luck in all your new endeavors, Ms. Lindz. I'm happy to hear you've joined a new band and that you're enjoying your new piano. You'll be just fine....you express things so beautifully, the mark of a really good songwriter.

che
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by che » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Squids,Come on home. I'll leave the light on for you. While I'm typing, your brother, the song machine is laying a panio track on a new song. I think we've almost got him convinced to lay the vocals himself. He has only done sound effects and backgrounds so far. He just produces. Wish us luck :-0