and... another challenge (50 songs in 90 days)

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: and... another challenge (50 songs in 90 days)

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:18 am

Quote:50 songs 90 days seems too long, and people would lose interest and forget about it. How about 50 songs in 10 daysrobbie tuckerwww.robbietucker.comThere's no rule that says you have to write the last song on the 90th day. By all means, write 5 songs a day and get it done
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:13 am

I'm holding back till the approaching deadline gets my blood going. Not really, but I am managing to leap out behind the pack in a wonderfully even-paced start. I have set a tempo that will be easy to maintain. Too bad it is nonfunctional for the purpose.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 am

Quote:I'm way behind.... I wrote a lot of snippets... stuff I could say was a song... but all except two are what I would call songs "written to the finish"..... the rest of the stuff was ....?? .... trash... silly stuff.... playing around.... ?..... does it count toward the 50?I don't think there'll be any damaging penalty points.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:46 am

Quote:I'm way behind.... I wrote a lot of snippets... stuff I could say was a song... but all except two are what I would call songs "written to the finish"..... the rest of the stuff was ....?? .... trash... silly stuff.... playing around.... ?..... does it count toward the 50?Yes, silly stuff counts. If you'd like to hear a couple of mine...Oh Sleep- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... 5522510Get a Job- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... 5529403I'm way behind too.... but we do have til the end of September

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:34 pm

What a futile exercise.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:44 pm

Quote:What a futile exercise. As much as I dislike disagreeing with you, JD1, I don't think it is futile to challenge yourself to write. Certainly not everything is going to be a hit, but that isn't the point. The fact that you got up everyday and wrote will strengthen your creative muscle. I also have done FAWM (14 songs in 28 days) and NaNoWriMo (write 50,000 words of a novel in November). The point of any challenge is that it pushes to write, and that you write stuff you never would have written without that motivation. Ralph Murphy once said that a pro writer might write 50 songs to find that one hit song. IMO it's a songwriter's job to write. I'm amazed when I meet songwriters who only write a song once in a blue moon. I work on writing music every day. I'm also working on a novel (thanks to NaNoWri) and everyone keeps asking when I'm going to write that book on the creative process. I don't say that so you can all go 'oh Vikki you are so great', I say that because, if I can do it, you can do it. We are artists, and artists work on their art on a consistent basis, knowing some of it will be crap, some of it will have a grain of something worthwhile that might become the foundation for another piece, and hopefully one or two pieces will really shine. If you don't write consistently, what are your chances of finding the gold nuggets?H

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Quote:Quote:What a futile exercise. As much as I dislike disagreeing with you, JD1, I don't think it is futile to challenge yourself to write. Certainly not everything is going to be a hit, but that isn't the point. The fact that you got up everyday and wrote will strengthen your creative muscle. I also have done FAWM (14 songs in 28 days) and NaNoWriMo (write 50,000 words of a novel in November). The point of any challenge is that it pushes to write, and that you write stuff you never would have written without that motivation. Ralph Murphy once said that a pro writer might write 50 songs to find that one hit song. IMO it's a songwriter's job to write. I'm amazed when I meet songwriters who only write a song once in a blue moon. I work on writing music every day. I'm also working on a novel (thanks to NaNoWri) and everyone keeps asking when I'm going to write that book on the creative process. I don't say that so you can all go 'oh Vikki you are so great', I say that because, if I can do it, you can do it. We are artists, and artists work on their art on a consistent basis, knowing some of it will be crap, some of it will have a grain of something worthwhile that might become the foundation for another piece, and hopefully one or two pieces will really shine. If you don't write consistently, what are your chances of finding the gold nuggets?HAs usual you reply with restraint and dignity(except for crap ) but yes,we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:30 am

Quote: I'm amazed when I meet songwriters who only write a song once in a blue moon. I'm happy that I amaze you, Vikki... Casey

foxefire
Active
Active

Post by foxefire » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi Vickie,I did the RPM Challenge 10 or more songs in 28 days.My hair has been white ever since. Blessings and Balance,Ernest
Blessings and Balance.
My Music Web Site
Http://www.ernestwhaleymusic.com

My ReverbNation Music Page
http://www.reverbnation.com/ernestwhaley