A new song for Florida.

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

A new song for Florida.

Post by jeffe » Mon May 28, 2007 4:55 am

Don't know if anyone saw this news snippet.http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/7532722.htmlAnyone wann have a go
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A new song for Florida.

Post by horacejesse » Mon May 28, 2007 11:40 am

No. There is no way to beat the song they already have. So what if some thoughtless people are offended and politicians do their best to curry favor with them? There are people who have moved to have Huckelberry Finn ousted from public school library shelves too. They are dummies and should not be given any credence either. Thoughtless people think it would be more palatable with a character known as Black Jim. Next we can update Dante and Cerevantes and make them more palatable. Who wants to know the truth about how people spoke and believed anyway? They should have believed what we believe. Why, that Mark Twain was an evil, ugly person to talk like that. Stephen Foster was a terrible guy too. Let's put him in closet and pretend Americans were always just as they are now.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Mon May 28, 2007 12:17 pm

Nothing like crazy liberals to stir up a storm eh

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon May 28, 2007 12:45 pm

Horace's perspective seems more conservative than liberal to me. Even though I agree that we should keep historical references available in a pure form in such places as libraries, a state song should be reflective of current attitudes and not be tethered to a less civilized, "traditional" past.And I certainly wouldn't label people who'd like to see our society be less bigoted and racist as thoughtless.Anybody see the South Park episode where nobody understood why Chef (the black school chef) was so offended by the South Park flag depicting three white stick figures hanging a black stick figure? After all, that's how things were, and the flag was tradition! Why stir up the pot?Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Mon May 28, 2007 1:11 pm

Actually.....I wasn't referring to his post. I was referring to the article/News item. Oh why oh why am I so misunderstood Hang on!There's a song in that (scribble scribble scribble)

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Mon May 28, 2007 1:36 pm

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon May 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Quote:Just another example http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070528/ ... 02f96.html Another example of crazy liberals, or are you being misunderstood again? Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Tue May 29, 2007 2:01 am

Quote:And I certainly wouldn't label people who'd like to see our society be less bigoted and racist as thoughtless.Of course not. You have to judge them thoughtless for their approach, not their sentiment.I do not like the idea of watering down and "correcting" Mark Twain. He is too important and his picture is too complete. I understand adaptation (as in stage adaptations, etc.) but not censorship.But I might change my mind and agree with you on the song. Can you imagine this song being sung at any state function? At the opening session of the state assembly perhaps? It would grate pretty hard on the modern consciousness.The Swanee River(Old Folks at Home) Written by Stephen C. FosterWay down upon de Swanee Ribber,Far, far away,Dere's wha my heart is turning ebber,Dere's wha de old folks stay.All up and down de whole creationSadly I roam,Still longing for de old plantation,And for de old folks at home.ChorusAll de world am sad and dreary,Eb-rywhere I roam;Oh, darkeys, how my heart grows weary,Far from de old folks at home!2nd verseAll round de little farm I wanderedWhen I was young,Den many happy days I squandered,Many de songs I sung.When I was playing wid my brudderHappy was I; Oh, take me to my kind old mudder!Dere let me live and die.3rd VerseOne little hut among de bushes,One dat I loveStill sadly to my memory rushes,No matter where I rove.When will I see de bees a-hummingAll round de comb?When will I hear de banjo strumming,Down in my good old home?Without the dialect I believe it is a great song also. The dialect comes off as unnecessaruly sumperimposed anyway, and limits what wants to be more universal.

clonsberry
Impressive
Impressive

Post by clonsberry » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:13 am

Okay.. first the disclaimer.. I can see both sides of the argument. Personally, I'd rather keep history in place. Those who ignore it are destined to repeat it. I would never teach my kids racism but I wish they didn't change old songs and cartoons and such. They're great teaching tools to say 'see, this is how this group or that used to be thought of. Not very realistic, is it? That's what predjudice is about."At the same time, if a state wants a new song.. hey.. that's their right. But let's take it past the politics and come back to the topic of songwriting. With that in mind, I couldn't resist...[sung to the music of The Swanee River]I.. can't say anything offensiveSo.. just relaxNo need for you to get defensiveJust pay your taxWe can't really talk about itNo way to sayWhat's gonna be taboo tomorrowThat's why I live in L.A.If Stephen Foster was still livingWell, aged in yearsWe like to think that we're forgivingBut he couldn't live here.So to avoid a confrontationJust hum alongHum quietly without the lyricsTo our correct happy song