Songs with 'killer' hooks

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Songs with 'killer' hooks

Post by edteja » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:23 am

My gosh Jeffe, you list these songs by about the 14th act to record them. Whiskey in the Jar is a heck of a lot older than anyone in Thin Lizzy. And The Animals--granted they did a nice job but... And you are a songwriter (shame!).
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:30 am

Memorable guitar hooks:Free RideLong Train RunningFunk 49China GroveBarracudaRoundaboutyou hear the lick, you wanna keep listening

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Quote:My gosh Jeffe, you list these songs by about the 14th act to record them. Whiskey in the Jar is a heck of a lot older than anyone in Thin Lizzy. And The Animals--granted they did a nice job but... And you are a songwriter (shame!).I hang my head in shame Still, the one I remember most is the 'Thin lizzy' version. I have heard a lot of others, but I've pointed out the most well known one. Well. It was the most well known here.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:18 am

I used to play with this big country boy (6'7") who could really sing. He was barely twenty-one and new at playing bars. An authentic innocent. One night he introduced Stand By Me as a Mickey Gilley song.Oh...you wanted a song with a killer hook. Okay, I just dredged another one; come on in and sit down. But this one is different. It's hook is the feel of it as the title is sung, though the title itself is not the hook:Smooth Operator.

toncart
Impressive
Impressive

Post by toncart » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:44 am

"I wanna Rock and Roll all night, and party everyday""We're not gonna take it""Aime, what you gonna do""Ahooo, hoo, warewolves of London""Come on and take a free ride""Go Johnny go, go. Johnny B. Goode"

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:19 am

From the "Hook Hall of Shame" Knock Three Times/ Tie A Yellow Ribbon: Tony Orlando & DawnElvira: The Oak Ridge BoysCome A Little Bit Closer: Jay & the AmericansValerie: The MonkeesHenry the Eighth: Herman's HermitsYummy Yummy Yummy: The Ohio ExpressThat's enough, or I'm going to lose my breakfast --- Ern

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:12 am

Quote:From the "Hook Hall of Shame" Knock Three Times/ Tie A Yellow Ribbon: Tony Orlando & DawnElvira: The Oak Ridge BoysCome A Little Bit Closer: Jay & the AmericansValerie: The MonkeesHenry the Eighth: Herman's HermitsYummy Yummy Yummy: The Ohio ExpressThat's enough, or I'm javascript:add(%22%20;)%22)going to lose my breakfast --- Ern I forgot breakfast again, How about Eddie Murphy's all time smashMy Girl Wants to Party All the Time...

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:41 am

Hey Ern, does Achy Breaky Heart get the nod for your list? It's (urp) on mine!

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:42 pm

"Every breath you take" - Police.Now I haven't consulted my history books but I think they sung that originally.A bonus question!!!!!What was it about?
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Quote:"Every breath you takeWhat was it about?obsessive behavior