Roalty Free Samples

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

alsemas

Roalty Free Samples

Post by alsemas » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:20 am

I have used some ROALTY FREE SAMPLES in a few (Electronica) songs I've done. Do these require any kind of clearance or are they ok to use how ever I want. I often see listings in TAXI that say "No uncleared samples, please". The samples are from a cd put out by Sony and specifically say Roalty Free. Thanks,Al

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Roalty Free Samples

Post by jeffe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:34 am

Is that like 'Royalty', but without the 'Y'?
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:00 am

Quote: I have used some ROALTY FREE SAMPLES in a few (Electronica) songs I've done. Do these require any kind of clearance or are they ok to use how ever I want. I often see listings in TAXI that say "No uncleared samples, please". The samples are from a cd put out by Sony and specifically say Roalty Free. Thanks,AlYou have to specifically read their agreement but almost universally these are meant to be used by us in our music with no real restrictions. Of course you can't take those samples by themselves and repackage them for resale or whatever but the Sony stuff, for example, is specifically for us to use in our music.Uncleared samples are direct and/or modified samples from another artists copyrighted recording(s), used without their permission.BTW (stands for Buy T-shirts Willingly), which Sony title did you get and how do you like it?Dave

alsemas

Post by alsemas » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:04 am

Thank you Dave. I bought Orchestral 2, 3 and 4. They are pretty well done. I have run into a couple that had minor problems, but for the most part they are pretty cool and it saves A LOT OF TIME.Thanks again,Al

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:24 am

hi al,yes, read the license agreement.some companies (e.g. big fish) do NOT allow to use their samples in music which will be licensed to music libraries - since there are quite a lot of library listings at taxi, this is a point to watch out.I once called them and asked what their problem with music libraries is - they couldn't tell me.if anyone has new information on this topic, I'd be glad to hear about it.martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:04 am

Quote:hi al,yes, read the license agreement.some companies (e.g. big fish) do NOT allow to use their samples in music which will be licensed to music libraries - since there are quite a lot of library listings at taxi, this is a point to watch out.I once called them and asked what their problem with music libraries is - they couldn't tell me.if anyone has new information on this topic, I'd be glad to hear about it.martinYeah, I've noticed this as well. I bought Jeff Rona's Liquid Cinema series and beyond the obvious "can't repackage it in a sample library or use it unaccompanied, etc. etc." they also had a music library clause. I've avoided using these in my pieces now as most of what I write I try to make library friendly just in case.I don't understand what the big deal is with usage in libraries for some of these sample companies. I wonder if it is more prevalent in loop libraries? I'm quite sure Stylus doesn't have this limitation, though. What's the difference?Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:07 am

Quote:hi al,yes, read the license agreement.some companies (e.g. big fish) do NOT allow to use their samples in music which will be licensed to music libraries - since there are quite a lot of library listings at taxi, this is a point to watch out.I once called them and asked what their problem with music libraries is - they couldn't tell me.if anyone has new information on this topic, I'd be glad to hear about it.martinThat's wierd and as you pointed out, doesn't even make sense. Technically, Taxi could loosely be defined as a "music library", certain publishers could be defined as music libraries and certain music libraries could be defined as not really being music libraries. If I have 500 tracks in my personal catalog and regularly make my own placements in addition to maybe a few others, am I am "music library"?Good luck to them making (proving) those distinctions or how any music placement source might, could, or would be defined. All this would probably depend on what the meaning of the word "is" is. Fortunately no BF samples in my library.