Copyright Preferrences

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

westborn

Copyright Preferrences

Post by westborn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 am

To all:Which form do some of you use when you copyright your material. I'm using the SR form as it seems the easiest. Never used the PA form. What is the difference anyhow?They have always accepted my forms/never questioned them. Just wondering what you others use??Thanks and it nice to see the different streams you all write.Westborn out4now

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Copyright Preferrences

Post by mazz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:22 am

The SR form is for Sound Recordings not the underlying work, i.e: the songs (as I understand it). The PA form is the one to use for copyrighting the actual piece of music. Anyone else have any more info?
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:41 am

If you are both the creator of the recording and the creator of the underlying work, the Form SR acts to protect and register both.... I believe there is a check box.... In other words, if I record 'How Do I win Your love ?' by me, and I am also the sole author and composer of the song itself, my SR filing I believe covers both the work and the recording. But if I record my version of 'Adrenaline' which was written by Charles Hurowitz, I can only claim rights to the creation of the recording. I believe I only have to pay Casey for mechanicals on actual sales of the recordings at the stat rate of 9cents.... if my version of 'Adrenaline' gets airplay or film tv sync, Casey collects performance royalties via ASCAP/BMI..... I don't think as the recording artist I get any participation in performance royalties.... only the author, composer and publisher collect. ArkJack

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:13 am

Quote:If you are both the creator of the recording and the creator of the underlying work, the Form SR acts to protect and register both.... I believe there is a check box.... In other words, if I record 'How Do I win Your love ?' by me, and I am also the sole author and composer of the song itself, my SR filing I believe covers both the work and the recording. But if I record my version of 'Adrenaline' which was written by Charles Hurowitz, I can only claim rights to the creation of the recording. I believe I only have to pay Casey for mechanicals on actual sales of the recordings at the stat rate of 9cents.... if my version of 'Adrenaline' gets airplay or film tv sync, Casey collects performance royalties via ASCAP/BMI..... I don't think as the recording artist I get any participation in performance royalties.... only the author, composer and publisher collect. ArkJackCorrect-o-mondo So when are you recording "Adrenaline" so I can get my 9.1 cents a copy? Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:27 am

Quote:The SR form is for Sound Recordings not the underlying work, i.e: the songs (as I understand it). The PA form is the one to use for copyrighting the actual piece of music. Anyone else have any more info?Just to amplify what Jack said, you can copyright both a sound recording and the underlying work on an SR form and save the cost of filing 2 forms. When I write a song, I usually have it demo'd by a pro demo person. When that is done, I file an SR form to copyright MUSIC, LYRICS, and SOUND RECORDING.A lot of people don't understand the need to copyright your actual sound recordings. It is legal documentation that you own the rights to the master recording. Theoretically, no one can use that master recording without your permission. A copyright of any kind doesn't mean no one CAN steal your work. It means you have excellent legal grounds if it happens. Now, if you do a rough demo at home and intend to shop it around, share it with a lot of others, etc., you may want to initially do a PA form to protect the underlying work (music and lyrics). BTW, it is a rare thing for someone to whom you pitched your song to steal it. Copyright protection is the best thing to do but don't be overly paranoid. Posting your songs on a website, for example, probably has advantages that FAR outweigh the chance that your song will get stolen. Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:07 am

A few years back, someone from the copyright office walked me through how to fill out the SR form, especially if it was complicated by co-writes, work-for-hire, etc... If I have time this weekend I'll post some tips on this. If I don't have time and you have a specific question, PM or email me. I'll try to answer your question, though calling the (c) office is the absolute best and only sure way to be safe. Casey

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks for the clarification folks. I learn a lot from all of you.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!