lyrics...Help

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

longrider
Active
Active

lyrics...Help

Post by longrider » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:41 pm

Howdy all Need some tips on how is the best way on thinking up lyrics for a new song. The way I composed is do the music first then come up with the lyrics. The song I'm working on is a rock song. I am stumped on trying to find the words to fit the song though. Should I start with one word? Or should I listen to the chorus and try to find a phrase that fits there first?I have a few Ideals like ( Standing in the light ) ( Dream Catching ) ( The wind has taken it away ) But I just keep hitting my head up against the wall trying to come up with the right lyrics.Would love to have some Ideals on how to get my brain going in the right direction, any help would be appreciated. Or maybe a website where I can learn something without having to pay for it. Thanks Tim

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: lyrics...Help

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:40 pm

Tim,There are many ways to write lyrics. What works for me is to pick something I'm interested in and write stream-of-consciousness for awhile. When I read over it, I can usually find a phrase or 2 that gives me something to work with. I'll repeat the process several times for each song.My favorite book on the subject is "Writing Better Lyrics" by Pat Pattison. It is very well written with techniques covering different aspects of lyric writing, from brainstorming to rhymes to metaphors, etc.Hope my advice is helpful.Nomi

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:44 pm

There are a few options for you.Write a set of words. However meaningless. So that they follow the vocal line you want. The just keep on re-writing them until you are happy.Do what you've just done now by asking for help. Also, check out the lyrics of others. When you read them. Don't just read them. Feel them too. Like you do your music. It might help train your mind to come up with words when you get your inspiration. Don't expect it to come straight away though. It could take time.Collaborate. There are lots of hot lyricists out there with books full of words that don't have any music. A good number of these can put their words to your music. If you don't mind sharing the rights, you could end up with a product with good words and good music.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

westborn

Post by westborn » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:55 am

Tim:For me. I write a hook line first. Usually I can do that without any music. It becomes poetry that way. If you have a solid poem of sorts, then you'll have a solid song. Pretty much, any lyrics can fit any music. With the right phrasing it can be done numerous ways.There have been times where I had music first,but that was when changing a secular tune to Christian. Find something that bugs you or someone that loves you. Right about that.Like right there, that's a song in itself. Somethin that bugs you might be someone that loves you.Hey did I just come up with a new song??? LOLI'll have to remember that one. You write it and I'll make some changes.....Ha.I get 90% of my songs from things people say in passing. Those are the most candid moments for writers.Good luckJames Westborn Blair