writer vs poroducer ... PLEASE ADD YOUR 2 CENTS

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jjohn

writer vs poroducer ... PLEASE ADD YOUR 2 CENTS

Post by jjohn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:40 pm

Is it out of line to ask for a copy of a pre-released track that I wrote but another artist demoed? I just got into a heated discussion w/ a "producer" who is working w/ a new artist about getting a copy of a song that I wrote (lyrics & melody). I have not received any up front money; I did background and sat in to help produce the vocals by this artist. All I asked for was a copy of the demo (It's not mixed- and it will be a while before it is). He flat out refused. He says he doesn't work like that...He's afraid that I may leak it. Meanwhile he dug up some old tracks to edit and rework vocally... Is this a strange thing? We have severed ties because I wanted a copy of a song that we collaborated on... Please tell me if I am overreacting....

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: writer vs poroducer ... PLEASE ADD YOUR 2 CENT

Post by nomiyah » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:50 pm

I've worked at various times as writer, producer and/or recording artist. So I've come up against this same issue many times.Some producers refuse to let something leave the studio until it's finished. Some even refuse until it's got a contract. The reason for this is because producers often get their work used by artists and writers without being compensated. (Confessions Of A Record Producer by Moses Avalon talks about the subject in depth.)But I feel your position even more, you want to be able to listen to your song! So when I'm producing someone else, I let them have a copy of the music regardless of the risk. I also think it can help me in the long run because they'll be using the recording to pitch the song.I had an artist ask me for a copy of the wave files of all the tracks so he could do versions with other producers. I didn't let him have them and he wasn't happy about it. But I didn't feel comfortable having other people mess around with my tracks.So yes this is a complicated subject without a simple answer. It's helpful to have an agreement before you record, even if it's just verbal. Good luck with it.Nomi

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:38 pm

If this recording is solely an artist's "demo" version intended for pitching to labels, I don't see why there would be a problem.Taking into consideration the sum of your contributions to the project, I'd say with a measure of confidence that you deserve a two-track of what you have so far. As Nomi pointed out, you're not going to get a multitrack file. That would be like asking for the producer's chair.When things start sounding really good in the studio, sometimes emotions get out of whack while good judgement and common sense get buried in the process. Maybe let things cool down and explain yourself? If it turns out that he really doesn't trust you with the track, chalk it up to experience.Best wishes...

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:22 am

I don't think this is odd at all. The last thing a producer would want is someone showing off their unfinished work. Also, if the producer hasn't been paid, then he'd been well within his rights to withhold it indefinitely.I do a fair amount of studio work, and I almost never leave the studio with a copy. Infact, a lot of times I don't ever get a copy (although a lot of times, I don't even want one).Quote:When things start sounding really good in the studio, sometimes emotions get out of whack while good judgement and common sense get buried in the process. Maybe let things cool down and explain yourself? If it turns out that he really doesn't trust you with the track, chalk it up to experience.I think Hook's got some really good advise here.Z

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:05 am

I think that the producer has a right to protect themselves. After all, they are investing their time in this too. They might start out being generous with the mixes but once they get bitten, they tend to set down a rule for everyone. I suppose you have to respect that.If you agreed that they could play around with it in the first place then you can expect that they will. Otherwise they wouldn't ask.There are risks everytime you let something out of your hands. It's one of those things that we just have to live with.One important thing though. If you created the melody and words, then you should make sure that you have copyright protected that before anybody gets to listen to it. That way, an agreement needs to be made with you about splits. Even if they only use a small part of your original composition. If it contains recognisable passages from your work, then they will need your permission in writing before they can publish it (Only if it hasn't been published before).If they don't do this then you can still receive royalties for the passages in the song that belong to you. It can get messy but if it's a big hit, then it's worth the court case. Besides, if they know they have little chance of defending it, it may not even get that far.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.