Can you use proper names in songs?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Can you use proper names in songs?

Post by ernstinen » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:52 am

I think the one use of proper names that should be avoided is those that "date" the song. One song that comes to mind is the Beatles' "Taxman" when they slam two British politicians (Mr. Wilson, Mr. Heath) in the backing vocals.I'm sure there were many references to Nixon during the Vietnam era, and there's TONS of references to GWB in today's rock songs.Dylan somehow got around the problem, making scathing commentaries without naming names. "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" is so current lyrically that it's scary. Amazing writing.Ern

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Can you use proper names in songs?

Post by horacejesse » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:04 pm

1 Big Bad John--Jimmy Dean2 Sioux City Sue--varied artists3 Mabelline--Chuck Berry4 Anna--Beatles5 Lovely Rita Meter Maid--Beatles6 Maxwell's Silver Hammer--Beatles7 Julia--Beatles8 Help Me Rhonda--Beach Boys9 Mary--Irving Berlin10 Take a Message to Mary--varied artistsRoxanne--Sting?Valerie--Stevie WinwoodRhianna--Fleetwood MacSherry Baby--?Lefty's Gone--?Barbara Ann--?Frankie and Johnny--?Me and Mrs. Jones--?Deanna--?Peggy Sue--Buddy HollyNadine--Chuck BerryBrandy--Looking GlassVincent--Don McLean?Sweet Caroline--Neil DiamondBig Jim--Jim CroceBad, Bad Leroy Brown--Jim CroceTea For Timmerman--Cat StevensGuinevere--Crosby, Stills & NashJudy Blue Eyes--Crosby, Stills & NashAbraham, Martin & John--?Johnny Is Gone For A Soldier--?Allison--Elvis CostelloOh Susanna--?Clementine--?Alice's Restaurant--Arlo GuthrieMona--Bob DylanLinda, Do You Wanna Dance--Steve WarinerMichael, Row The Boat Ashore--?Pretty Boy Floyd--Woody GuthrieJust Like Jesse James--?Pancho & Lefty--Townes van ZandtMaggie--Rod StewartJust Like Tom Thumb?--Bob DylanTommy--The WhoMartha--BeatlesWhen Sonny Gets Blue--Johnny MathisSunny--?Sara--Bob DylanMary Had a Little Lamb--?My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean--?Hurricane--Bob DylanWake Up Little Susie--Everly BrothersElla Speed--LeadbellyLea--ClaptonLeah--Roy OrbisonMaria Elena--?Eleanor Rigby--BeatlesJose Cuervo--?Hey Joe--Grateful Dead?Bandy The Rodeo Clown--Moe BandyBill--5th DimensionG-L-O-R-I-A--Kinks?Hello, Mary Lou--Ricky NelsonJust Like Romeo and Juliette--?Romeo and Juliette--Dire StraitsAura Lee--Traditional, also known as Love Me TenderMelissa--Allman BrothersCharlie Brown--?Annie's Song--John DenverWaltzing Matilda--?Aunt Rhodie--?Molly Malone--?We Didn't Start The Fire--by Billy Joel is all proper names