Help on song writing ^^

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Help on song writing ^^

Post by matto » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:39 pm

Quote:Quote:...Diane Warren technique...Got her number matto? Wait...gunter, I think you misunderstand the "technique"...you're not supposed to call HER answering machine... I know it's all so confusing...

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:52 am

Maybe she is so successful becasue everybody's been calling her answering machine and she picks out the best ideas. In addition to the writer/publisher cuts we're gonna need a phone caller cut.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:25 am

Jeeees, it's quiet 'round here today...What y'all do... Go and get lives?? Casey

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:57 pm

Quote:Jeeees, it's quiet 'round here today...What y'all do... Go and get lives?? CaseyAwww did you miss me?

acousticwriter

Post by acousticwriter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi Shadowrock, If you have never written a song before, I suggest you take something from your life and write about it. I think it helps to open up your muse.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:53 pm

I highly recommend Jason Blume's '6 Steps to Songwriting Success'. If you read it and do the exercises you'll have several songs written by the time you complete the book, and you'll have a good understanding of songwriting (which is re-writing, and crafting).cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:07 am

Quote:I highly recommend Jason Blume's '6 Steps to Songwriting Success'. If you read it and do the exercises you'll have several songs written by the time you complete the book, and you'll have a good understanding of songwriting (which is re-writing, and crafting).cheersHummin'birdThe only people who make money from songwriting books are those that write them!j

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:30 am

JD1, that is harsh, cruel, cynical and untrue. The publishers and the writer's agent, to mention only two, make money from those books. Then there are the bookstores. And maybe there are some songwriters who have profited by them. They are not complete solutions, but H'bird is right that they (some of them) can useful.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:06 am

"The only people who make money from songwriting books are those that write them!"Have you ever read Jason's book? I'm reading it right now. If I had read it 4 years ago, when I started songwriting again, all the things I learned painfully over time from other writers, forums, Taxi critiques, etc., might have been more present in my work from the get-go. Like "The Artist's Way" this book is not a passive read. If one does the tasks as outlined, one will have a better understanding of the *craft* of songwriting -- which is how to take your wonderful inspiration and make it into something a Taxi reviewer would want to forward.There's absolutely nothing wrong with recommending a well-written book by a hit songwriter & respected teacher of songwriting to any fledgling songwriter who is sincere about wanting to write commercial songs. Another book I consistently recommend is John Braheny's "The Craft & the Business of Songwriting," and, for those marketing themselves as artists - "The Indie Bible," "The Musician's Atlas", and Bob Baker's podcasts & newsletter - www.thebuzzfactor.com And, by the way, a songwriting book doesn't have to cost you a thing. I took out my copy from the local library.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:50 am

HiI've never been big on songwriting books but I can't see how they can hurt you, especially if you take one out from the library, buy a cheap used copy from someone or on eBay, or even read one in Barnes & Nobles over a cuppa coffee.I think a lot depends on your objective. If you want to write songs to pitch to artists against the "Nashville standard", they may be needed. Pitching to Nashville is so closed that you need a song that walks on water to get in (and even then you might not). Note, that the above assumes you are past the very basics- knowing what a verse, a chorus, a bridge is, etc and understand about "the hook". If you don't know those basics, you need to learn them one way or another. I think you can learn those things by paying attention to popular songs and discussions on forums like this.If you know the basics, it then depends on your genre, performer vs. non-performer, etc. For example, if you are in a rock band and getting good industry reviews, CD sales, gigs, etc. - I don't think you obstacles to further success are in the detailed nuances of lyric writing found in a book. All non-performers, have to work harder at it than performers because of the double standard (YES, THERE IS ONE!). So they may have more to gain.Also, it depends a bit on your natural talent. Some just "have it", other need to learn more to compete.I attended a workshop given by one of the authors of songwriting books. He is also a TAXI reviewer. He listened to a bit of my "Painfully Single". He complemented it, especially on the lyrics and rhymes but then said no one would ever record it because artists like to be identified with their songs and who would want to say they are "painfully single"? Well, 2 publishers offered contracts on it and one artist has it on his short list for his next CD. It may not make his CD, but he's considering it. My point there is not to rip that guy to shreds, but to say that no one has all or most of the answers. I guess I digressed... I'm all over the board on this post (not much sleep) but one more thing... I always tell people to listen to "Come To My Window" by Melissa Etheridge. It has all the elements of good song construction... verse.. build... lift in chorus... a great bridge, etc. And the lyrics are simple, to the point and "come to my window" is a great hook IMHO. You don't have to like her or this song to use it as a good songwriting model.Anyway, some like to use songwriting books, some don't. But it's up to the individual.... and Johnny- until you show us something you've done in music, please keep your mouth shut!!! Casey