Help on song writing ^^

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shadowrock

Help on song writing ^^

Post by shadowrock » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:19 pm

Ok well to start off ill tell you a bit about myself. Im currently in a band known as 'Shadow-Rock!' hence the username. In the band i take the role of the singer, not exactly a brilliant singer, but definately worth a listen. Anyway, a while ago i wanted to start making songs, but ive not really got into it until now, and i was hoping the good people of 'taxi' will help me to realise how to write songs. So anyway, i was hoping someone would be able to help me by giving me some tips. It would be very helpfull ^^. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Help on song writing ^^

Post by hookstownbrown » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:46 am

At least once a day...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:59 am

Quote:One of the best investments I've made is in a small personal recorder. Take it everywhere with you and record everything that pops in your head. Inspiration comes at some of the most inopportune times so be ready for it. Hum melodies that come to you into it, record every title idea , phrase idea, and topic that pops in your head. Every idea, even the ones you decide later are total garbage, usually came to you for very good reasons. Maybe a word or two in a line you decide you hate give birth to another line that grows into one of the best songs you'll ever write. This is my advice, personal recorder. Good luck with your writing.Yes! All songwriters should do this! I'm mad at myself for having given up this habit and this is a good kick in the butt for me ... So many lyrics, song titles, themes for songs, etc have popped into my head while driving to work in the morning and gone to the creative graveyard... Years ago, I even did it with a pad and pen, writing stuff down while sitting at a light (Caution: Writing and driving at the same time may be injurious to your heath ...For some reason, most ideas pop into my head in the morning. Maybe there is something about our brain-cycles there... Casey

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:58 am

If you don't have a little recorder, or left it at home, there's always the "Diane Warren technique" of calling your own answering machine or voicemail and recording your song ideas there. matto

gunter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by gunter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:43 am

Quote:...Diane Warren technique...Got her number matto?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:39 pm

Quote:Quote:...Diane Warren technique...Got her number matto? Wait...gunter, I think you misunderstand the "technique"...you're not supposed to call HER answering machine... I know it's all so confusing...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:25 am

Jeeees, it's quiet 'round here today...What y'all do... Go and get lives?? Casey

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:57 pm

Quote:Jeeees, it's quiet 'round here today...What y'all do... Go and get lives?? CaseyAwww did you miss me?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:50 am

HiI've never been big on songwriting books but I can't see how they can hurt you, especially if you take one out from the library, buy a cheap used copy from someone or on eBay, or even read one in Barnes & Nobles over a cuppa coffee.I think a lot depends on your objective. If you want to write songs to pitch to artists against the "Nashville standard", they may be needed. Pitching to Nashville is so closed that you need a song that walks on water to get in (and even then you might not). Note, that the above assumes you are past the very basics- knowing what a verse, a chorus, a bridge is, etc and understand about "the hook". If you don't know those basics, you need to learn them one way or another. I think you can learn those things by paying attention to popular songs and discussions on forums like this.If you know the basics, it then depends on your genre, performer vs. non-performer, etc. For example, if you are in a rock band and getting good industry reviews, CD sales, gigs, etc. - I don't think you obstacles to further success are in the detailed nuances of lyric writing found in a book. All non-performers, have to work harder at it than performers because of the double standard (YES, THERE IS ONE!). So they may have more to gain.Also, it depends a bit on your natural talent. Some just "have it", other need to learn more to compete.I attended a workshop given by one of the authors of songwriting books. He is also a TAXI reviewer. He listened to a bit of my "Painfully Single". He complemented it, especially on the lyrics and rhymes but then said no one would ever record it because artists like to be identified with their songs and who would want to say they are "painfully single"? Well, 2 publishers offered contracts on it and one artist has it on his short list for his next CD. It may not make his CD, but he's considering it. My point there is not to rip that guy to shreds, but to say that no one has all or most of the answers. I guess I digressed... I'm all over the board on this post (not much sleep) but one more thing... I always tell people to listen to "Come To My Window" by Melissa Etheridge. It has all the elements of good song construction... verse.. build... lift in chorus... a great bridge, etc. And the lyrics are simple, to the point and "come to my window" is a great hook IMHO. You don't have to like her or this song to use it as a good songwriting model.Anyway, some like to use songwriting books, some don't. But it's up to the individual.... and Johnny- until you show us something you've done in music, please keep your mouth shut!!! Casey

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:07 am

Quote: HiI've never been big on songwriting books but I can't see how they can hurt you, especially if you take one out from the library, buy a cheap used copy from someone or on eBay, or even read one in Barnes & Nobles over a cuppa coffee.I think a lot depends on your objective. If you want to write songs to pitch to artists against the "Nashville standard", they may be needed. Pitching to Nashville is so closed that you need a song that walks on water to get in (and even then you might not). Note, that the above assumes you are past the very basics- knowing what a verse, a chorus, a bridge is, etc and understand about "the hook". If you don't know those basics, you need to learn them one way or another. I think you can learn those things by paying attention to popular songs and discussions on forums like this.If you know the basics, it then depends on your genre, performer vs. non-performer, etc. For example, if you are in a rock band and getting good industry reviews, CD sales, gigs, etc. - I don't think you obstacles to further success are in the detailed nuances of lyric writing found in a book. All non-performers, have to work harder at it than performers because of the double standard (YES, THERE IS ONE!). So they may have more to gain.Also, it depends a bit on your natural talent. Some just "have it", other need to learn more to compete.I attended a workshop ($40) given by one of the authors of songwriting books. He is also a TAXI reviewer. He listened to a bit of my "Painfully Single". He complemented it, especially on the lyrics and rhymes but then said no one would ever record it because artists like to be identified with their songs and who would want to say they are "painfully single"? Well, 2 publishers offered contracts on it and one artist has it on his short list for his next CD. It may not make his CD, but he's considering it.I'm all over the board on this post (not much sleep) but one more thing... I always tell people to listen to "Come To My Window" by Melissa Etheridge. It has all the elements of good song construction... verse.. build... lift in chorus... a great bridge, etc. And the lyrics are simple, to the point and "come to my window" is a great hook IMHO. You don't have to like her or this song to use it as a good songwriting model.Anyway, some like to use songwriting books, some don't. But it's up to the individual.... and Johnny- until you show us something you've done in music, please keep your mouth shut!!! CaseyCase,I believe you were a member of Taxi.I presume you had some critiques.Do you know who the critique r's were let alone know their work.I would be quite happy to critique any of your songs but you won't like the result quite simply because you are nowhere near the commercial market.Your stuff is OK'ish in an easy listening kind of way.Let me know what you would like me to listen to and meanwhile get a flak jacket.BTW the Prozac's kickin in