Help on song writing ^^

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Help on song writing ^^

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:56 pm

Quote:Shucks, I have missed a lot on this topic. I had it bookmarked, but I never got the additional posts. For starters, JD1... Please shut up.Lot's of very talented people here put heart and soul into their music, only to find out that the struggle to make a living - making music - is the toughest challenge that most of us have ever faced.I have read many of your posts and I don't believe that you have much of a clue as to the sacrifice, effort and perseverance it takes to become successful in the music business -- I do believe that you, as a decent person, wouldn't take personal shots at a struggling bunch of good folks if you really knew how hard we work to reach our goals.We write music and lyrics... For that, we are an emotional sort. We get criticism 99% of the time and live for that 1% of adulation and acceptance.... We are so used to the 99%, that we tend to accept it as a part of doing business. But, we do let those emotions escape when...The criticism gets personal... Beyond professional...And with that I have a problem...Many songwriters here, are in the learning stages -- Just as I am, was and will be. We lower our defenses in the interest of learning. No matter how ego-shattering it may be, we display our progress with the confidence that we won't be condemned for not being professors of the craft. We trust that we are among similar, goal-oriented people and we hope that we are not seen as anything but driven to succeed.Once upon a time -- Soon after I started on this board, I needed real encouragement to continue writing. I got it from my friends on this board -- and also from Taxi, the company. I suppose my timing was right. By that, I mean...Your chiming in seems to have caused the author of this thread to look elsewhere for encouragement.For that I am truly disappointed... Solely for the author, not you.Please find somewhere else to break good spirits...Hey Hooks.I am one of the few Professional Musicians haunting this board which is exactly why I am the way I am.Don''t tell me how hard it is man to make a few scheckles from this business.The majority of you don't have a clue.You've got your safe day jobs that bring in the money and think all you have to do is write a few words and you have a hit song.j

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm

Quote:Hey Hooks.I am one of the few Professional Musicians haunting this board which is exactly why I am the way I am.Don''t tell me how hard it is man to make a few scheckles from this business.The majority of you don't have a clue.You've got your safe day jobs that bring in the money and think all you have to do is write a few words and you have a hit song.jJust for balance, I'll throw in that my sole income is generated via music...and though it may be a struggle at times, I still love this industry and believe confidently that my success will continue to grow.I know many other people who have found success and happiness making music for a living, so it IS possible, despite your experiences Johnny! Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Read this guy's last ten posts. Youi'll see that he is purely a skank.JD1, you are truly rude, crude and unappreciated.Care to meet me for lunch in Nashville? I'll buy... Buddy...I've got some salt for your salad...Best wishes, you rudimentary terd...

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:15 am

Quote:Quote:I highly recommend Jason Blume's '6 Steps to Songwriting Success'. If you read it and do the exercises you'll have several songs written by the time you complete the book, and you'll have a good understanding of songwriting (which is re-writing, and crafting).cheersHummin'birdThe only people who make money from songwriting books are those that write them!jI have two checks sitting on my shelf waiting to be deposited...you be the judge.One for $650 that I got directly from a lead in a book called "Cash Tracks" by Jeffrey P. Fisher. Another, a $1.43 royalty check for my stint as a co-author of a computer book done for McGraw-Hill. Not a songwriting book, but as a book author none the less. (OK, maybe it wasn't the best book in the world, but it gave me my first experience of working under high pressure deadlines... )

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:14 am

Quote:Read this guy's last ten posts. Youi'll see that he is purely a skank.JD1, you are truly rude, crude and unappreciated.Care to meet me for lunch in Nashville? I'll buy... Buddy...I've got some salt for your salad...Best wishes, you rudimentary terd... hey Hooks,as you have been the most complimentary and I only have time to answer one post.Am I supposed to be impressed with the Nashville address?For starters I wouldn't be seen anywhere with somebody who looks like you.You could probably get a job in the movies as an extra.I suggest horror pics.You wouldn't need any make up. I think you call yourself a Pro Writer but don't you get a pension from the navy.Pro to me means you get your money from your musical skills,not some government handout.I bet you make your living shoveling turds,actual or musical.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:14 pm

Quote:You know what? I've had enough of this. If you aren't prepared to be a positive and supportive member of this community, then go away. We're not interested. I highly advise every member of this forum to ignore any posts from this person and let's get back to the reason that are we are here - to create and maintain a community of like-minded musicans and writers who share knowledge and support each other in their creative aspirations.Don't fall for the bait that gets you involved in these sorts of energy-wasting and creativity-draining exchanges. It's just spam.Hummin'birdI second that emotion