Calling a chorus a chorus

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Calling a chorus a chorus

Post by edteja » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:37 am

Okay we talked about this subject in abstract terms before folks, but I need some help. I wrote a tune and yesterday a friend helped me massage it a bit before cutting a new demo (I did ne before but didn't like it). So we only put down a rhythm and vocal track, but that ain't the problem. The problem is very simply what to call some of the components of the song. Let me say that the lyric works (for me), it is just a question of what to tpe ahead of each "chunk."Here is the lyric (I'll explain my A, A2 and B marking at) the endThe Road Calls MeAWhen younger, called myself a gypsyA lovely name for a ramblin' boy.As I grew older, my trips grew bolderCalled myself a travelin' man.BThat traveling life's not for everyoneLost many friends along the wayBut moving on always suited meMaybe I just never learned how to stayA2The road calls me, I can hear it.Singing so sweetly to me.The road calls me, I can feel itTugging at my bones they want to be free.BBut after you turn fiftyGypsy lacks that romantic ringThey call a man a drifterWhen he gets older and still wanderingAWhen I came back to where I was bornThe only place I call home these daysThe greeting I got, so hearfelt and warmPeople asked how I could stay away.BI like it here in this old placeThough it changed while I was awyLots to love in my home landBut that don't mean I'll stay.AAll said and done, guess I am a gypsyA rambler, wanderer and drifter tooPick any old label, it can't hurt me.Traveling is just what I do.BThat traveling life's not for everyoneLost many friends along the wayBut moving on always suited meMaybe I just never learned how to stayA2The road calls me, I can hear it.Singing so sweetly to me.The road calls me, I can feel itTugging at my bones they want to be free.The road calls me.Okay the A and A2 parts are musically similar and the B part is different. Given the music alone, you'd think that B was a chorus, and the As verses. But the title of the song is in A2 (and it feels right there, hence the dilemma. A is a verse, no worries. But B is sort of another set of verses with a repetition. And A2 could be a bridge, except it has the title and is musically more like a verse. SIGH.So I need some kind of insight, guidance to a schema that would look good to screeners (cause like I said I think the song works no matter what I call the parts.). Any takers? Please.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin