Questions about my first time at the Road Rally

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

terrydaun

Questions about my first time at the Road Rally

Post by terrydaun » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:56 am

I've heard of artists handing out their CDs, etc.Is this appropriate? If so, should I bring 50-100 Cds to hand out?(I can only imagine that if half the artists there did this, the A&R folks would be overwhelmed.)As for the "Open Mic". If there is a drawing to perform, what is the stage set-up consist of?I am driving from Phoenix, can I bring my own gear?Are you overwhelmed with requests?Thank you very much.Terrywww.myspace.com/terrydaunsmusic

zupe

Re: Questions about my first time at the Road Rall

Post by zupe » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi Terry,It used to be that panelists would take your CD. However, they got so overwhelmed by it, that the practice stopped a few years back. Then TAXI had boxes set out in the lobby for the panelists. But people were putting their disks in EVERY box (i.e. their latest heavy metal disk went into a Nashville publisher's box!) So that practice stopped, too. I usually go with about 25 disks with me. Most years, I seem to bring about a half dozen back home. If I were you, I would read through the Road Rally info and see exactly who fits the music you're trying to pitch. Once you figure out how many people you want to try and get your CD to, then you'll have a good idea of how many to bring.The Open Mic is a huge draw! There's one in the main ballroom, and if I rmember correctly, a smaller stage upstairs. The main ballroom will have a full sound system, a piano, and probably a couple of guitars. The smaller stage will probably have some speakers on tripods (tupperware on sticks) and a keyboard of some sort. By all means, bring your own instrument (the airlines never want to take my Steinway!)Hope this helps. Look me up at the Rally.Zupewww.zupe.net

terrydaun

Post by terrydaun » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:30 pm

Hey Zupe.Yea, that sounds a little more practical. I'm not too concerned with that anyway as I am still learning to crawl in this new arena of TV/Film.The open mic would be cool to do. I'll just bring my keys and rack and leave them in the car in case I get the opportunity. Much easier than messin with your Steinway.I will certainly look you up at the Rally Zupe. I see from your site that this is nothing new to you. Very impressive work! I might have a question or two. heheeThanks for the reply. Terry

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:22 am

Quote:I've heard of artists handing out their CDs, etc.Is this appropriate? If so, should I bring 50-100 Cds to hand out?(I can only imagine that if half the artists there did this, the A&R folks would be overwhelmed.)As for the "Open Mic". If there is a drawing to perform, what is the stage set-up consist of?I am driving from Phoenix, can I bring my own gear?Are you overwhelmed with requests?Thank you very much.Terrywww.myspace.com/terrydaunsmusicI agree that mobbing the panelists isn't the most effective creative marketing technique. Yes, some panelists don't take CD's but many do and you'll run into them during the course of the Rally if you pay attention and keep your eyes open. Hang around the bar at night if nothing else. There's a "mentor" lunch where various mentors and panilists play musical chairs where they sit at your table for something like 10 minutes or so, every 10 minutes you're getting a new mentor. They almost always ask for CD's.I've also made some good contacts through other musicians so don't discount the "regular" folks. I think I brought 60 CD's and gave my last CD to the girl next to me on the plane going back home (she was a film maker travelling to Missouri to do a documentary on a prison). You'll never be mad that you brought too many but you'll be kicking yourself if you're being asked for a CD from someone that matters and you ran out two days before that. Dave

taxijon

Post by taxijon » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Terry, Most panelist will take CD's if you get the chance to speak with them. A lot of them have multiple panels they are involved in and are hanging around in between. Last year a few still asked us to have boxes set out for them, but is was the minority. I don't know how many CD's to bring, but bring more than you think you need. You will need around 10-15 just for the pitch panels and a lot of people trade CD's with each other and help each other out with songwriting and such. You never know how many friends you will make at the Rally. Deals get made every year so don't be caught without a CD. Discmakers usually sets up a booth to make free copies of CD's for attendees and it's always swamped, but could be helpful in a pinch if they are going to be doing the same this year.I wouldn't bring too much gear to the open mic. We normally have 2 Acoustic Electric guitars, a piano and or a Keyboard and mics already set up. Messing with a rack and fiddling with midi might slow things down. Some people bring their own guitars and effects, but the more simple your setup the better it is for everyone. You can also bring a CD with the backing tracks if needed. We have things already so that we can get the most people up onstage as possible. There is normally jamming going on all over the hotel so you might want to bring your instrument if you want to partake.

terrydaun

Post by terrydaun » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:25 am

Thank you so much for the replies.I have the CD topic under wraps. I'm driving, so bringing plenty is not a problem.I called to register and asked about the open mic. It was suggested I leave my stuff at home. This is cool.Less to deal with. Thank you for the replies!!