Music Industry Listings

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

greatmoves
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Music Industry Listings

Post by greatmoves » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Taxi, Everyone; Please Vote, show where you stand...I am concerned just how much time it's taking for me/us to go through the bi-monthly "Taxi Listing". For me it takes longer than need be, after all, its not a novel and I/we should not have to read the whole list in order to make use of it, being that only one third of items in the list is of interest to me and others, I would bet. My question is does any one support the listing being divided into sections? I for one just want to get to the areas I'm interested in, I am not an artist and thus not interested in these types of listing. Sometimes I find a listing is semi misleading. Listing will start out talking about... Artist-X... with attribute X,Y,Z etc... then further down into the paragraph say " ...looking for songs". This is somewhat frustrating, because I have missed listing listings like this in the past, to only find them on the second read, this should not be.I'm sure doing this will be beneficial to others and will not adversely effect "Taxi's bottom line. "Taxi" should put the listing into sub-categories so we can get on with the business of writing not unnecessary searching.Here are the sub-categories that we need.Songs wanted. (with vocals)Instrumentals wanted.Artist wanted.If you believe in this please comment or write Taxi, BTW, I hope this is in the correct section, if not please let me know and I will re-postGreatmovesBB
First we hear noise in our mind. A joyful sound we call music, Thus we all play by ear... bjb Songwriter

WOW, What Gall someone must have, trying to use "ideas only" to wedge their way into the music business... bjb

ceedub
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Music Industry Listings

Post by ceedub » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 pm

I think there are plenty of categories already. Also, it's very helpful that new listings are labeled.

greatmoves
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by greatmoves » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:29 pm

Apr 22, 2009, 3:21pm, ceedub wrote:I think there are plenty of categories already. Also, it's very helpful that new listings are labeled.Can you elaborate, I am talking about the elisting/ song submission opportunities, not the forum. is this what you mean? I just think I/we should be able to quickly see the listings we are untested in. there are IMO only 3 sections for this as I listed in my post. GreatmovesBB
First we hear noise in our mind. A joyful sound we call music, Thus we all play by ear... bjb Songwriter

WOW, What Gall someone must have, trying to use "ideas only" to wedge their way into the music business... bjb

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Apr 22, 2009, 3:29pm, greatmoves wrote:Apr 22, 2009, 3:21pm, ceedub wrote:I think there are plenty of categories already. Also, it's very helpful that new listings are labeled.Can you elaborate, I am talking about the elisting/ song submission opportunities, not the forum. is this what you mean? I just think I/we should be able to quickly see the listings we are untested in. there are IMO only 3 sections for this as I listed in my post. GreatmovesBBHey BB,Is this the page you're looking at for the listings?http://www.taxi.com/industry.php?Listings-drop2 The listings are already broken out by genre on that page, with the "new" listings highlighted. It takes me about 5 minutes max to go through all the listings to see which ones I want to submit to.HTH,- Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

ceedub
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ceedub » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:39 pm

That's the page I was referring to. Pretty user friendly as is.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I use the page that BBB mentioned and it takes me 5 minutes to go through the listings and paste them into my calendar program. Even on a "busy" listing cycle. You can click on the genres you are interested in at the top of the page and the new listings are highlighted in blue. Pretty well designed IMO.-Steve

lyricboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lyricboy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I don't know if you ever use the feature, but on most browsers, if you hit (control)+F it will bring up a search input box. Type anything in there that you're looking for while on the listings page, say "Singer/Songwriter" and it will take you right to the next occurance of those words on the page.Just a thought.

greatmoves
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by greatmoves » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I think maybe non-performing songwriters would better understand this dilemma. Why should any of us need to sift through hundreds of listing, just to find 5 or 10, that are of intrest. I am a song writer, non-performing, yet I have to look through all the other listings. just to see the songs wanted listings... Yes, These songs are listed by genre. I am talking about the basic songs category. It's either song w/vocal, instrumental, or an artist wanted listings. when I go to the listing I want to know who want's songs, pouring over a list of things of no interest, gives me no pleasure. When I first started getting the list I used to read it. I no longer have the time nor interest for that.Thanks for your replies and I hope others will feel/understand as I do. Let's just see what the vote says... It's set for 7 days, and will end on April 29, 2009.Did you vote?GreatmovesBB

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:43 pm

BB,With all due respect, I think this is falling in the category of "I'm too lazy to do what I need to do to be successful"As an instrumental writer I read all of the listings. Sometimes there is a call for an instrumental within a request for songs. There is also a skill to reading "into" the listings. I can't help to think that reading many listings and trying to pay attention to what is forwarded when someone who is forwarded posts a track is also very helpful. All part of the education process. For me the listings are just a starting point to more research on styles and artists. This too falls in the category of "work" (heaven forbid)How much can we expect TAXI to micro manage what we have to do to be successful?They provide a'la information for listings that apparently is extremely under utilized. Again, there is some work involved. Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

greatmoves
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by greatmoves » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks, for your humble IMO, crs7stringI also used to read all the listing, I no longer feel the need to do so, yet I understand your reasons. What you are talking about is what I would call extra curricular activities and I still do that. but it's not what I want to do all the time.Sometimes you want to get in and get out, I am by far not lazy about this business. I don't see this as wanting Taxi to micro manage us, but I do think they would rather us be writing than searching the list for needless periods of time. IMO this will be an added feature in a positive direction... Hope you voted, so far it's a loosing vote for me, I kinda know how McCain felt now... GreatmovesBB