Thoughts on Basic Idea

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dada
Active
Active

Thoughts on Basic Idea

Post by dada » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:33 am

Trying to get back into songwriting and recording.. This is a rough draft of a tune I thought had some potential, but not sure if it sounds too dated.. Vocals are first take variety..Song is Lay Down & Die on the top of the Soundclick music list..http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... hanks,Dave

partyofone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Thoughts on Basic Idea

Post by partyofone » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:56 am

hey Dave,I like the vibe here! Drums and guitars and bass sound pretty darn good. If it sounds *slightly* dated I'd say it's only because of the chorus effect on the guitar, but it works and doesn't bother me. The drums are very cool... are they live? I like your vocal tone and I realize it's first take. There are some spots where the squeeze/compression seems to cause notes to become dissonant but I'm sure you'd tweak this in a final version.I never listened to this guys a lot but would I be off in saying this has some Afghan Whigs influence to it?Cheers Dave!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:41 am

Mar 24, 2009, 4:33am, dada wrote:Trying to get back into songwriting and recording.. This is a rough draft of a tune I thought had some potential, but not sure if it sounds too dated.. Vocals are first take variety..Song is Lay Down & Die on the top of the Soundclick music list..http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ks,Davecan you post the lyrics?Tx
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

ideascapes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ideascapes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:39 am

Hey Dave,Nice sound here and you've got a unique vocal vibe. The basic rhythm section is well done. I'm hearing a little rumble in the low end (I think it was near the end of the verses or in prechorus) on my studio quality headphones. Might be toms that need a gate.As the song went on it seemed the vocals got a little low in volume in energy compared to the rhythm track. The drums sound good but could be a little more dynamic in my book.Vince

dada
Active
Active

Post by dada » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Patrick,Ill' have to revisit the wigs music.. nothing comes to mind, but I have heard something of theirs.. drums are loops with some processing.. I use a mastering plug that stomps the mix a little contributing to the squeeze.. still trying to find the subtle point..Hbird,LYRICS.. verse just repeated for now..Here comes the dayI'd like to forgetthe way I'm feelingit lasts all day longand now you want toconfront me onsome recognitiontakes me rightsquare head onwell here I amif you were looking for meyeahI'm not gonna lay down againI'm not gonna lay down for youlay down and die againyeahI'm not gonna lay down againI'm not gonna lay down and dieagainvince,yeah I think my mastering plug needs vetted.. it is a modified preset that adds a sparkle I cant seem to get away from, but it needs more tweaking.. thanks for the listen and comments..Dave