Sound Quality feedback request

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Sound Quality feedback request

Post by georginasaint » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:43 am

Hi everyone, First, I'd like to explain that I wrote all my instrumentals on a Korg Triton and got quite a good percentage of forwards, but often comments about my sounds could do with updating. Eventually bit the bullet and got Cubase & East/west and started working that way. To my ears, it sounds hugely better on E/W, but now I've had a couple of critiques saying that these new pieces are not broadcast quality. I'm guessing there's something I'm not doing to "polish" them. I am not adding compression or anything. Strangely, I've just had a forward on a Korg Triton piece and the E/w pieces are being rejected. Can you guys listen and give me your thoughts please? By the way, I've tried this before and my link to my song didn't work since they changed the system. On another note (pardon pun) I can't listen to most of the songs on the boards these days - my computer won't let me download anything. Any idea why this would be - it worked fine before they changed the system. Here is Tempus Fugit - Time Flieshttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=143672&stream=trueI am doing it Ibanez468's way...Georginasaint

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sound Quality feedback request

Post by jay10music » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:02 am

GEORGINA....TO MY EARS AND I LISTENED TWICE....It seems to me that that's what it needs is a little compression. The sound being orchestral isn't bright enough for my ears...Doesn't have that pozaz. There will be more Guy's coming on your post that can explain it better than me.They have the teck smarts..I do all my stuff on a keyboard work station, but don't use computer to master.I will leave u with a track that I did just a while back...See if u hear the difference.It's not a orchestral piece, but it will give u a idea..jay http://www.taximusic.com/download/15399 ... %20bed.mp3

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by georginasaint » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 am

Hi Roadrunner, thanks for listening and for your advice. I had a feeling it might be to do with compression. Sadly, like most of the other links on the boards, I can't listen to your track!!!! It's so frustrating!Do you have it on another website? Or you could pm me an mp3???Georgina

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 am

hey saint--i like this, find it as r-man said not quite as brite, but i love the depth as well, so i hope somebody tells you how to fix it--the plucking higher strings near the beginning sound way real and most of it very symphonic, so don't there is much to fix to my ears, but i'm no king of the mix. sorry i can't help more. very nice piece though....the best,warren

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:19 am

oh saint--go online and install QUICKTIME, it's there on several sites for FREE. it's fixed allot for many of us. try it if you don't have it, and if you have it, make sure it's activated. many users here gave me this advice, and it worked, though it takes a minute or a tad more to start playing, so have patience.the best,warren

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:38 pm

GEORGIE....TRY myspace/johnpelsone The song Ileft was Mystic Vibe.Ithink it;s there but if it isn't any song there will do;;LET ME KNOW IF U GET ON ANY WHERE..JJ

zoom
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by zoom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:25 am

Georgina....Yeah... it might have something to do with compression... more than brightness IMO.... some of the lines get a little lost, and the mix is a hit and miss for me. But the instrumentation sounds really good to me, and the music is wonderful!I'm not familiar with Cubase, but if you can, try doing some different compression settings on individual or sets of instruments to see if you can bring out some more sparkle. Either that or try to find a good local producer that can help fine tune it, as really that's all it needs IMHO.

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by georginasaint » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:51 am

Hi Heinsite and Zoom, thanks for your thoughts. It all helps, I find. I'm going to play around with compression and see what I can do with it. I know you can do that on Cubase but I've never even tried it. I'm not in a position to pay $ to get a producer to do this... yet.... Roadrunner, I can't find your MySpace - (it must be me?!?!) and I have Quicktime already but it doesn't use that when I click on a music link, so I guess I have to set it to default somewhere? Internet settings?

othentic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by othentic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:49 am

You have to keep in mind that the sounds in the synths and triton and all of them are all compressed to sound bigger. The E/W collection is NOT compressed cause they want the instruments to sound as natural as possible. You should compress them a bit IMO.Ben

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:33 am

...and based on the O man, i think you may have the answer...let us know, very curious myself, since i use a bunch of midi/roland stuff and Ben what you said makes sense--duh after a couple years!...live and learn.the best,wh