out of comfort zone....feedback?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

out of comfort zone....feedback?

Post by vicky » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:20 am

hey there everyone.....I thought I'd try something new and approach a Chill with vocals (it's a first)....any words of wisdom or suggestions? is this even a song?I know your nameSaw it in the lightYour name is the same as mine,and all the other lights outside.You know my nameFound it on a ray in flightMy name is the same as yours,and all the other rays in sight.We are sands, drops, millions of pieces,named the same,Marked king and queen,Crowned as beings,all named the same yet changing.I know your nameSaw it in the lightYour name is the same as mine,and all the other lights outside.We are sands, drops, millions of pieces,named the same,Marked king and queen,Crowned as beings,all named the same yet changing.http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... &stream=1I really appreciate you all vtbp

smaltonian
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: out of comfort zone....feedback?

Post by smaltonian » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:41 am

VickyWell..I did take a listen....The Vox are too far back for me to be really fair about this to ya....Music takes many different shapes & forms.....And of course in todays world there are many, many, more genres.....My advice..........DO THE KIND OF MUSIC THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY....If it works & people dig it fine, if not move on..........That's how you find & RE-FINE your soundLater

zoom
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by zoom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 am

Heya Vicky... I wouldn't really call this chill.... with the dissonant tones and rhythmic shifts, it doesn't really have that same feel as what I think of as your standard 'chill' music. I might call it experimental electronica with a sci-fi twist though It's interesting, and if this is for you, then I'm all for it. I just don't know how many listings you're going to find that this piece would fit.Hope that helps you find your way a little in uncharted waters...

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:59 am

This might not hit the mark (it's your creative genius gone a little mad ).Here's a 20-second snippet of a song called "Small Time Shot Away" from Massive Attack (100th Window CD). It's just one of many great "Chill" examples and alternatives but I've been using it as a reference. www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/PrivateArea/Sma ... nippet.mp3

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 am

hey there......thanks for taking a listen....Quote:.DO THE KIND OF MUSIC THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY....If it works & people dig it fine, if not move on..........That's how you find & RE-FINE your sound Steve I pretty much do the music that makes me happy....just trying to do more so I'm not watching so much TV.... Zoom...thanks....I wrote it for the listing due today, all the while knowing it's just a start....also I like to submit to listings that are looking for "unique' because I tend to get more forwards....the vocals in Zero 7 are way under the music, so that was my thinking..Dave thanks....I modeled after Zero 7 which has quite a different sound than Massive Attack.....I get what you're saying..."not nailing the genre"....Thanks for the thoughts....anything specific to hit the CHILL?vtbp

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:05 am

hi VTBP!!great to hear you again lady, this has a very eclectic and with your vox oriental sound to me. this is definitely unique. that said you're a little pitchy, dude! and yep the vox is too far back until towards the end for my ears...that's all i gots, BUT GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!the best,warren

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:14 am

thanks WarrenQuote:that said you're a little pitchy, dude! and yep the vox is too far back until towards the end for my ears... I pitch corrected notes , but yeah my singing does need help....as for the VOX that effect is called Supermarket Speakers This is the beginning of vocal dabble....I'm just going to keep working on it, I literally have nothing to lose....thanks,vtbp

frodo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by frodo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Jul 14, 2008, 12:24pm, vicky wrote:...anything specific to hit the CHILL?Hi vicky,I think one easy but important thing about the chill genre, is to understand where it comes from.Imagine:It's a party, it's cool rythmic music, it's minimalistic techo and underground house.You have been dancing for a while.You are tired.You walk out of the dance-floor.You go buy a drink (or get a large glass of water).You go into the lounge.There they play chill-out music so you can chill from the dance-experience....So, chill is coming from a rhytmic dance-able background.Stuff like Zero 7, is a little different, with more organic drums.Stuff like Buddha Bar is more like a crossover to New Age.- until next timefrodo

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:47 pm

vtbp.....This invalid crap came up again, I couln't hook up......Could u give me another link..Jay....

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:53 pm

I believe frodo is in the ballpark, the "chill" genre references the rave experience, specifically the tendency of ecstasy to raise the body temperature to dangerous levels, requiring special "chill-out" rooms. IMO, that is the genesis of the chillout form.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone