For melodic instrumental/ambient listing **Updated

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

steini
Impressive
Impressive

For melodic instrumental/ambient listing **Updated

Post by steini » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:41 am

Relaxing, MELODIC INSTRUMENTAL / NEW AGE COMPOSITIONS (no vocals) are wanted by an Austrian Production Co. for CD compilations to be used in European Wellness Hotels. He wants smooth, easy-listening, melodic instrumentals. Stay away from complicated structures. Instrumentally, he wants to mainly hear acoustic guitar, piano, flutes, and soft saxophoneshttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=107585&stream=1Hiya, I sent this one in and two others in same style, hope I'm not way off, it's not new age but at least melodic.Any thoughts on the mixing, I´m not completely happy, it sounds fine when in my monitors but in pc speakers I don't know so I'm thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong in the mixing.Also some parts of the instruments could be more convincing I guess.Steini

questor
Impressive
Impressive

Re: For melodic instrumental/ambient listing

Post by questor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 am

Personally, I think this could easily be considered new age...at least I have heard things of the same tempo and style in some new age compilations.As usual (for you) this is a great work. Nice melodies and the flute and others seem to put it right on target for the listing. I would be surprised if it doesn't get the forward.Not sure about your issues on the mix, simply because my ear for mixing is not that great, I can only notice the most obvious stuff. So I can't offer any ideas there. It sound fine to me. Another very nice piece.

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:29 am

Hey Steini,I love the piece, the melody is breathtaking. Not sure exactly what is meant by a "wellness hotel" but this is EXACTLY the kind of music I want to listen to when I'm getting a massage or sitting in the steam room. Great job! I've got no problem with the mix here. My first impression was that the flute didn't sound 100% authentic (maybe 98%), and you could probably play with panning and EQ of the two flutes a bit (I know what it's like to go nuts over your mix, believe me), but when I'm getting that massage I'm pretty sure I won't be thinking about it! Just MHO.Keep it up - can't wait to hear the next one from you.Cheers,-AR

steini
Impressive
Impressive

Post by steini » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:48 pm

hiya, thanks for listening. Yeah I need to fix the flute in parts but seems hard. I'm changing my setup in computer, gone to vista 64 and using a DAW called Reaper which is so so in midi edit but I still like it alot.My main issue these days is if I should believe the output from my monitors or the output when I play on the inbuilt sound of the pc.... I'm leaning towards the monitors a bit.

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:02 pm

steini,I'll tell ya' what, when I started out back in September, I was strictly using my monitors, as this was the thing ta' do (or so I've been told). But lately, I've been finalizing using my earphones. I go back and forth between monitors and earphones, but the last listen comes from the earphones. The way I see it, I'm just trying to put myself in the screener's shoes, and make sure that s/he hears what I hear. I think to some degree it has helped, even though I've read countless articles that say "never mix with the cans". This may be an exception to the rule though IMO. BTW, good tune, sounds like its on target as far as I can tell. Good luck with it!ibanez468

steini
Impressive
Impressive

Post by steini » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 am

UPDATEhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=107959&stream=1now I'm happier, hope this version is better for you kind listener too. Steini

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Re: For melodic instrumental/ambient listing **Upd

Post by audiorayne » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:01 am

Awesome! That's the one! The elements work very well together - it feels like a very professional mix to me. Love the part when both flutes kick in. Very smooth. Quick comment about the monitors - usually what I end up doing is working using a combination of my monitors and my headphones, but actually since most of my work is later at night it ends up being in the cans by necessity. What I do is bounce the latest mix revision, then I listen to it using the same computer in iTunes through the monitors, and then on my iPod with one set of consumer headphones as well as my studio headphones. Then I listen to it on my car stereo, and then on my work computer using another set of cheapo headphones. That gives me a pretty good impression of how the mix translates because I know how commercial stuff sounds on those systems.Best,-AR