Old Man With No Country?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Old Man With No Country?

Post by heinsite » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:36 am

hi guys, sorry for the almost oscar joke...just got my first turndown of this as "folk", and before i demo it as a country tune (which it's bones really are, and i'm planning on doing "someday" think, any opinions? some of you suggested, rightfully i think, that i should use this forum to get feedback before i spend the $$ i don't have on demos. first i'll say it's all just me, i know the last chorus may lead it to be too serious or seemingly contrite, and it has allot of flaws, vox my first attempt, the fake fiddle (both low and high) are a filler for a real one someday, the "fiddle" solo could be shortened, etc. have at it anyone who wishes. heinsite http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... 5&stream=1 ps: sorry, my pasting of the lyrics didn't work! next time i'll type them inI'm Swearin Off CNNI’m Swearin’ Off CNN (Capo 2nd fret)© All Words and Music by Warren HeinVerse 1 ChorusG F F CWho’s old Larry King talkin’ too? I’ll buy the paper once a weekC G G Just another of them Hollywood mo—gools And check the ads for somethin’ cheapG F F CMan I’m tired of that Sean Penn My country music can be FM C D G G D GAnd they just found a shallow grave again But it’s all too crazy so I’m swearin’ off CNNAm F GAnd if I’m stuck with Scarecrow and Auntie EmC D GI’m turnin’ the channel and swearin’ off CNNVerse 2G FThis just in, it’s breakin’ newsC GBut I’m not sure who they’re talkin’ toG FI’m sure it’s bad—but wait what’s that?C GThey’ve rescued some old lady’s catAm F GAnd if it’s back to reruns of Mr. EdC D GI’ll survive, I’m swearin’ off CNNChorusFiddle Solo based on chorus chords of F, C, G, F, C, G, D, GVerse 3 (continue with backing fiddle, but more serious)G FMy sis has cancer, found it last fallC GIt came from nowhere, Doc says they got it allG FMy brother’s boy Jim limped home from IragC D GNow that’s reality, (spoken) damn right we’re proud, but we’re glad he’s back. . .Am F GYeah I get serious now and thenC D And I’m not kiddin’ I’m swearin’ off CNNOutro VerseG FThis just in, it’s breakin’ newsC GBut I’m one guy they’re not talkin’ to…

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Old Man With No Country?

Post by geo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Hey Heinsite, had a listen, I think it would work better as country IMHO.... sounds like you had fun singing it!! I would end it right at 3:10 or :16, outro not needed.....Your rhyming scheme goes array here a little...This just in, it’s breakin’ newsC GBut I’m not sure who they’re talkin’ toG FI’m sure it’s bad—but wait what’s that?C GThey’ve rescued some old lady’s catAm F GAnd if it’s back to reruns of Mr. EdC D GI’ll survive, I’m swearin’ off CNNThe Auntie Em was a good lead in... look for another similar...You might want to update the references a bit, try to be a little more current... just an idea...I like the song and would be interested in hearing any updates... Geo

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Old Man With No Country?

Post by heinsite » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:41 pm

hi geo--can always count on you answering!! thank you, and i'm impressed with the comments.yes, i think when demo'd this will clearly (as mud...ha!) be country, but with my first rough and my chops, it does sound a bit folk, so i have to reluctantly say i agree somewhat with the reviewer.your comments on the lyrics are good ones. one of many of my "knocks" have been not "current" sounding enough lyrics, so i'll seriously think about trying for something a bit more NOW, though i picked the wizard oz thing because most everybody knows it.thank you again, valid comments!! working on two songs at once, and i'll get back to this draft soon. oh, and i'll listen now for the shortening suggestion, though country tends to like that verse/reprise thing. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!1the best,warren