Is This Mobyesque?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tomaragon
Impressive
Impressive

Is This Mobyesque?

Post by tomaragon » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm going to submit this to the "a La" Moby listing........One In PassingComments welcome....

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Is This Mobyesque?

Post by mazz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:34 pm

I think you're very close. I would suggest darkening the strings (just EQ, don't change the part). I think this would allow the voice to come through a bit more without having to turn it up. I know the listing said the voice should be mysterious and I still think it would be even if the strings were darker. The darker strings would also help to give the client the "murder" vibe they're looking for, IMO.The ending might fade a bit too much, also. Try just ending with the strings and not the "harp" echo.Good stuff!! Good luck!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 am

I agree with Mazz on the strings... they have an "uplifting" kind of feel at the moment.... but overall I like this piece, there's a fair bit of anticipation in the feel of it... really good job... Geo

tomaragon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tomaragon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks guys!!!!I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and give some great suggestions.The listing says Tuesday Feb. 25th so I'm not sure which is correct.Tuesday is the 26th!I did use some of your suggestions and modified the track.The same link should still work for the newer version.Beings that I'm not sure about the due date I just submitted what I had modified and slid right in before mid-nite just in case. Thanks again!!

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timbehrens » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:13 am

Hi Tom,Really like the track... it's got a good feel to it. I'd definitely say it's Mobyesque. I'm new to the board and to actively submitting to Taxi. I submitted to this listing as well, though it was more of an exercise in just meeting deadlines and getting my stuff out there. Anyways, I'm wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me. What kind of software do you work with? Also, when I compare your recording side by side with one of mine, the sound quality and overall level is much greater. Do you have any advice for someone just learning how to create a finished product? Do you use any kind of mastering software or hardware for your pieces to push the level up?I know some of these questions are really basic, but anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see you around the boards.--Tim

tomaragon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tomaragon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Tim:Thanks so much!I'll send you a PM for a lot of details you are asking about!

steini
Impressive
Impressive

Post by steini » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:24 am

I like this alot, only the strings are bothering me a bit, if you could get softer sound for the strings or something, or put a distance effect on them, make em more in the back.very nice soundscape, would love to be able to do this stuff..

tomaragon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tomaragon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:06 pm

I know what your saying about the strings Basically I was emulating the A La Moby song that was mentioned.To my ears anyway it sounds like he's using a string synth patch instead of real strings.....Moby has this sort of raw sound to me that sounds like he's doing things in his bedroom....... Without totally copying his tune I just emulated the vibe he created.....Just my $ .02.

questor
Impressive
Impressive

Post by questor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:43 am

Don't know moby, but I do like New Age (is Moby new Age?)Anyway, I really like it alot...very nice flow...the vocals could be in a few more spots as they add some variety..One thought about the current vocals...the ending note seems a little cut-off...and perhaps a longer and slowly fading away sound might work better....like you could add a few more notes and hold the last one and drop it slowly as you back away from the microphone....so it would seem to fade into the music...you could also do it during the mix (with volumes) but I find the step back method sometimes gives the singer a much finer control over the style of the fade out....The strings do sound synth, but one way to get around that would be to make them more staccato (I think that is what they call it)...you know...make it more abrupt as it transitions between notes...it would give it more punch and would sound more real by enhancing the steps of the keyboard intentionally as opposed to trying to remove the steps (which is very hard on a keyboard/program).Anyway, great as is and my ideas might make it worse in practice (though they sound good in theory). So you won't really know unless you try the variations (assuming you agreed with the ideas) and do a side by side listen....To me this song could be 10 mins long with other instruments (sections) coming in and out....and still not be boring...and that is a compliment as far as I am concerned. What you have feels like it wants to take me on a much longer journey...but Taxi may not be big on extended pieces...I have no idea.Great work!Very very nice...IMHO