Modern Blues?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Modern Blues?

Post by billg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:29 pm

Hey, I was working on music for an instrumental listing when it struck me that it could be a pretty cool blues tune if I added harp & vocals. So after I did this I noticed this listing for Modern Blues.Not sure If I'm sure I know what modern blues really is & the ala's are pretty much all over the place. Was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not you guys think my tune might work for this listing. here's the tune http://www.billgaunce.com/song/6 & the listing;A wide range of great-sounding MODERN ELECTRIC BLUES-ROCK SONGS & INSTRUMENTALSin the range of Bonnie Raitt, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, the Fabulous Thunderbirds,Eric Clapton, etc. are sought by a West Coast-based Music Publisher who typicallysupplies music to companies such as Muzak (tracks for retail shops, restaurants,malls, etc.). He's been expanding his repertoire and wants to find great materialfor TV projects, as he has numerous contacts in that world as well. Male or femalevocals are OK. He's asked us to be extra selective in what we forward -- he wants quality over quantity -- so your vocal and instrumental performances must be excellent. No profanity or uncleared samples. He offers numerous types of publishingdeals. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submitone to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screenedand critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Feb. 12, 2008.TAXI # S080212BL

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Modern Blues?

Post by jchitty » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Hey, I'm really liking this....it sounds cool. Doesn't sound like your voice though, but it still sounds great. I think it's perfect for the listing.....very good lyrics here.....great song all the way around!

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:26 am

Bill,It sounds more like 'old-school' blues to me, but ... I am like you .. I don't really know what modern blues are either. So .. I am of no help there. I thought the song was pretty good. Loved the raincoat line. Thought it might could use a little better musical hook for the title line, but ... we always think that, don't we?Dean

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:13 am

hey bill,I found the backing track ok (a few groove/timing issues, but nothing too important). however, I think you'd need to invest in the vocals - defenitly the weakest part of the track....ooookeeey, sorry - I couldn't resist to tell you my opinion, but I've just seen you've not asked specifically for that; so ignore that if that's not what you wanted to hear.to your question if it's modern: to me it sounds more traditional; under "modern" it would need to be kind of rockier, more edge I guess.best of luck,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks Martin, Since the listing says "modern electric" blues I was thinking (hoping) that maybe the electric part (as opposed to acoustic delta blues) is what they're looking for. Some of the ala's seem a bit on the traditional side to me. Now, on to the vocals (you don't get off the hook that easy!) what's bugging you about them?

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:42 am

I don't know, the harmonica reminds me a teeny bit of Blues Travelers. The ala's are strangely not that modern to me so I guess if you go with what they're asking for, the instrumental works fine.Your voice is missing some soul, bebe. Not like you. Is it the key? I know blues sometimes crunches the lyric line, chopping it short but there's no depth to your voice, even allowing for that. There's nothing ragged in it, no roughness, nothing road-worn until the end, to lend some authenticity to it. I'm using too many adjectives aren't I? The part where you duet with the harp is tres cool tho. Honestly, I think it's the mix on the mic, swee'pea, and it's changing the way you sing. You've sounded different since you switched to the new one. Nothing to cry home about, jes different.Jes my 2 cents.....

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Yep, yep, now DAT's what I'm talkin' bout! You cleaned that sucka's clock, I promise you.