First stab at some 70s rockage

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

daveleopard
Active
Active

First stab at some 70s rockage

Post by daveleopard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:30 pm

This is my first attempt at writting something with a 70s feel to it. Let me know what you think....http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... 3&stream=1

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: First stab at some 70s rockage

Post by sgs4u » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:54 pm

What occurred to me was to wonder what style, or genre the listing is looking for. Is "On the Flip Side," in the style of '70s stuff they're looking for? Can you post the listing? I got a forward a while back for a funk thing I did, when I submitted to a '70s listing. Understanding what the listing is looking for, has not always been one my stronger points. Without that understanding, we are doomed. Unfortunately, your drum programming and sounds aren't as live sounding as I remember the '70s being. Can you deepen and deaden the snare, and put some gaff tape on the toms? Get the whole kit further back in the mix, maybe add lots of room sound (Bonham comes to mind). More lo-fi cymbals too..., less crispy 10k. You could look for some monster drum fills as well.What do you think? Of course, there I am holding an '80s instrument in my avatar. Does that make my opinion seem more, or less credible... Quote:This is my first attempt at writting something with a 70s feel to it. Let me know what you think....http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... 3&stream=1

daveleopard
Active
Active

Post by daveleopard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Here is the listing:1970s-style original INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are sought by the Owner of a Music Production Library for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. ALL GENRES associated with the decade of the 1970s will work as they're open to Soft Rock, Country Rock, Jazz Fusion, Jazz, Disco, Metal, Arena Rock, etc, etc. Great, authentic-sounding performances are a must -- he needs material that sounds like it was lifted straight out of the 1950s. He needs tracks with button endings -- no fade-outs. This production music veteran signed many TAXI writers to his previous company, and wants to repeat that same type of success with this venture as well. This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY -- NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Dec. 7, 2007.TAXI # Y071207INYou are right on the money with the drums. Drums are my weak point always. I can never seem to get them sounding right to me. I guess its because I'm a guitar player and not a drummer. Thanks for listening and giving some suggestions. I will try those out and maybe repost it.-Dave

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:38 pm

Quote:Of course, there I am holding an '80s instrument in my avatar. Does that make my opinion seem more, or less credible... Dude. You are so my hero. I got into a pop/rock band in the early 90s and bought one of those and NEVER GOT TO PLAY IT ON STAGE. I was DYING to run around and head bang with the guitar player. Sigh. Friggin' lead singer chick broke up the band. Maybe I should buy another one and run around on stage at church during Sunday morning worship.

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:41 pm

And yeah Dave, what he said about the drums. Are you using Logic? There's a new kit that came with the latest version called "70s Kit" that's perfect for this. Big booshy snare, dead toms, dull cymbals. That's what you need. On my 1" laptop speakers, the guitars sound great.

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:52 am

Hey Dave,The riffs and guitar sound are definitely there for this listing. I agree with Stick and Steve, if you can get a little more "dated" drum sound you would have a winner!The style is for sure within the bounds of the listing. Although the 1950's typo was funny. I'm sure they are not looking for 70's style songs that went back in time!! Sure you could spend more time on the drum programming to get more of those monster fills like Steve says, but just a little more dated drum sound would take it up enough I think.Best of luck,Cisco

daveleopard
Active
Active

Post by daveleopard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:51 am

Quote:And yeah Dave, what he said about the drums. Are you using Logic? There's a new kit that came with the latest version called "70s Kit" that's perfect for this. Big booshy snare, dead toms, dull cymbals. That's what you need. On my 1" laptop speakers, the guitars sound great. Thanks for taking a listen. I'm actually using EZ Drummer, just went a little overboard with tweaking them I guess. I'll repost a new version with stripped down drums soon.

daveleopard
Active
Active

Post by daveleopard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:54 am

Quote:Hey Dave,The riffs and guitar sound are definitely there for this listing. I agree with Stick and Steve, if you can get a little more "dated" drum sound you would have a winner!The style is for sure within the bounds of the listing. Although the 1950's typo was funny. I'm sure they are not looking for 70's style songs that went back in time!! Sure you could spend more time on the drum programming to get more of those monster fills like Steve says, but just a little more dated drum sound would take it up enough I think.Best of luck,CiscoThanks Cisco, I actually missed the deadline for this one. I got busy getting ready for a show and never got back around to it. Oh well, I guess I'll have it for next time. I'll be reposting the remix as soon as I get a chance.Take care,Dave

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:49 pm

On EZ drummer try using less (or none) of the room mics (in the mixer page) and maybe a little of the overheads. Remember in the 70s they recorded drums in dead rooms with a lot of crap on the drumheads to deaden them even further. Then they put a mic on every drum. Too bad you can't record the smell of reefer, that would add to the vibe nicely!!ffffffffff.........'ere........aaaaahhhhhhhhMazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

daveleopard
Active
Active

Post by daveleopard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:12 pm

OK, here is a new version with a lot less processed drums. I'm still not quit feeling it though. Maybe my ears are just burnt...you be the judge.http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... 1&stream=1