Matt D Reyes: Say That (Pop)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

doityourselfmatt

Matt D Reyes: Say That (Pop)

Post by doityourselfmatt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:51 am

I just finished this recording and brought it to the rally but it was never played at the panels. Anyone out there in forum-land have a few minutes to give me their critique of my song "Say That"?The Song is at http://www.taxi.com/mattdreyesThe Lyrics:Verse 1Talk to me, tell me what’s on your mind I'm tryin’ to read you but you wont let it show through to meLet go of your secrets, there's nothing left to hide Let go of your inhibitions and say Chorus ASay that, you want me forever, andSay that, you'll love me till death do us part, and Say that, you'll never let goVerse 2I don’t understand it, what do you want from me? To sit here and say nothing at all While my heart is exploding, new things are unfolding In front of our faces I'm praying to God you'll say to me... Chorus A + BSay that, you want me forever, and Say that, you'll love me till death do us part, and Say that, you'll never let go Say that, you'll always be with me, and Say that, your heart won’t forget me, and Say that, you'll never let goBridge I know you think I'm crazy for this, But I can’t keep holding it in (oh) Chorus AAnd I want you to want me foreverI want you till death do us part, andI hope, you’ll never let goChorus BSay that, you'll always be with me, and Say that, your heart won’t forget me, and Say that, you'll never let go (no)Say that, (say that)Say that, (say that)Won’t you say that, you’ll never let goThank you very much and I am looking forward to your comments. (no matter how un-awesome they may be )

rick
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Matt D Reyes: Say That (Pop)

Post by rick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:48 am

This took me to the main taxi page and not your song for some reason.

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:19 am

Hey Matt,Welcome to the forum. Give it some time for feedback to trickle in, the forum is seeing a nice spike in posts from new users from the Road Rally. that out of the way, that is a really good song.I like the way it builds, and the chorus is nice and memorable. I think it would fit right in on a top 40 station.I can't comment on the production too much, because i was listening on some crummy speakers, but I liked what i heard.If I had to pick something to pick on, I felt the melody in the verses were not as strong as the rest of the tune. This may help to make the chorus stand out even more, but to me (JMO) it felt like that was the one area that may need a little fine tuning.Again, that's just nit picking, I think this is a great pop song.Good work, and good luck!Rob

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:32 am

Matt, I really like this. (I must, I listened to it over 10 times!) I'm feeling a total Kelly Clarkson thing going on. I even think the vocalist sounds like her. And, I've got to disagree with Rob (sorry Rob).. I love the verse melody. One sure way for me to know if I like something is if I get goose bumps, and I completely got them. I can really hear this on the radio. I wish it had been played at the panel!This is already so good, I think most of the replies you'll find are just nit-picky things for you to consider. I'll try my best to give some constructive comments.Songwriting: In addition to the other tricks you've already used to good effect, I think the chorus vocal could be set off from the amazing verse a bit more by throwing in some different vocal rhythm (like Jason Blume taught us). I think the pause in the bridge after "...crazy..." (2:15) is a bit longer than my ears want to hear. That may have been what you were going for though..Performance: Maybe it's a problem my internet streaming capabilities (or my ears, let's not rule that out), but it seemed like there was a couple of drum timing issues here and there (1:34, 2:07, 3:05, and 3:33 for example), where a part of the kit (snare or cymbal) plays a bit too far behind the beat and it throws off the flow. For the most part though, the drums are ridiculously good. Good job!Production: Already very good, but it's a little muddier to me than I'd like (jmo), and maybe a dab of high EQ on the mix would help, or alternatively cutting some mid frequencies in the 100-300Hz range, or maybe try a harmonic exciter? Just some suggestions. Keep it up and good luck!-AudioraynePS the intro to "Lost in a Fairy Tale" is bloody brilliant.

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:12 am

MattGood song, man! I thought the vocals got a bit lost mix-wise in the choruses with all the distorted gtr (might be me ) Perhaps you could side-chain them to a compressor with the gtrs? Nit picking, good tune.Liam

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:02 pm

good song. I agree about the Kelly Clarkson vibe. Well done, great build, etc...very pro. Good luck

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:59 pm

I'm with Liam on the vox getting lost a bit here and there (but I'm a singer so of course I'm gonna wanna hear that above all things).Good song!!

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:26 pm

Great song, Matt.On the lyric front, the verses seem a little non-descript to me; I couldn't remember anything from any of them after the song was over. Maybe some more colorful lines would help paint a more vivid picture for the listener.Also, the timing in a few spots seems to drag...but this isn't really an issue if you're just pitching the song. If you'd like to hear it used as-is, you might think about tightening it up a bit.André
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:07 am

nice job Matt.Nice big hook on this one, with a nice little lift into it. I like the singer.I'll echo the lyric suggestions, digging a little deeper in the verse would really take this song up a notch. It was also set up the chorus even more, lots of detail/imagery/metaphor in the verse and nice big universal chorus.All that said, there is a current listing for HOT AC that I think this would be perfect for. I don't know the # right offhand, but it should be easy to find.