I AM just whistlin' Dixie

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

I AM just whistlin' Dixie

Post by ncc1701 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:37 am

OK, all my new friends I just made over at "Newbie Introductions," I need your help with this.I have my version of "Dixie" just about as finished as it's gonna get. I have MAYBE half an hour to mess with it this afternoon (the submission deadline is today). I plan to double all the tracks and then pan them out - right now there's no panning at all on any of them. I will also cut the gain on some of those really shrill notes in the piccolo.Otherwise, will you please give this a quick listen and tell me if those couple of changes will make this ready to submit? If it needs any more work than that, I'll have to bag it and save it for the NEXT Civil War/fife instrumental listing. "Dixie"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... s,Kathleen

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I AM just whistlin' Dixie

Post by davewalton » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:54 am

Quote:OK, all my new friends I just made over at "Newbie Introductions," I need your help with this.I have my version of "Dixie" just about as finished as it's gonna get. I have MAYBE half an hour to mess with it this afternoon (the submission deadline is today). I plan to double all the tracks and then pan them out - right now there's no panning at all on any of them. I will also cut the gain on some of those really shrill notes in the piccolo.Otherwise, will you please give this a quick listen and tell me if those couple of changes will make this ready to submit? If it needs any more work than that, I'll have to bag it and save it for the NEXT Civil War/fife instrumental listing. "Dixie"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... athleenI'd definitely submit this, especially after doing some of the tweaking you describe. It definitely stands on its own for this listing. Plus, it's not like this is a popular genre that comes up all the time. Like viewing Halley's Comet, you may be retired or worse, the next time a listing like this comes around.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:22 am

Once you finish doubling and panning and un-gain the piccolo (sharp lil suckers, aren't they? Heh!), this is about as close to what they want as you can possibly get. Good job!

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:07 am

Definitely send it in- its perfect for the listing. Are you also going to double(triple?) the snare drum? With all those flutes and piccolos, I think more drums would add to what you have. Very nice playing on it, too!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:16 am

I like it . Obviously the real wind instruments help a great deal.Pretty spiffy playing there The only "problem" is with authenticity IMHO, generally this stuff was (is) performed by relatively big drum/fife ensembles. You do have several "fifes" , but what sounds like only one snare (and it's not really a field drum either, it's quite high pitched). In my personal opinion the authenticity could be improved by having a larger and deeper sounding snare ensemble, and perhaps adding a few doubles to the main fife melody.However, even without these changes you should ABSOLUTELTY submit this...as I said in another thread you never know exactly how "authentic" they are looking for.

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ncc1701 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:07 am

(To be read aloud in an Eric Cartman voice) Yeeesss, validation! Sweet, sweet validation! This means a ton to me, you guys. I'm basking – basking, I tell you – in the glow of having the big dogs on this forum tell me one of my pieces is worthwhile.Quote:In my personal opinion the authenticity could be improved by having a larger and deeper sounding snare ensemble, and perhaps adding a few doubles to the main fife melody.Very true. I'm quite surprised that EWQLSO Silver Pro XP only comes with one snare and one bass drum sample. (The bass was far too "concert" to use with this.) My Yamaha PSR-2100 actually comes with a "classic" kit that may yield a decent field drum sound.Thank you, everybody, for taking the time to listen. I'm goin' in!Kathleen

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:51 am

Upgrade to Gold (XP) when you can, it has tons more, including a field drum ensemble, large and small snare ensembles, plus an 3 snare ensemble.In every other respect Gold is a big step up too, you won't regret it.