Would this Chase work for music libraries?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Would this Chase work for music libraries?

Post by kevinmathie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:54 am

Hi all!Well, this morning, I looked on my calendar, and realized that I had forgotten about today's deadline for chase/action music. So, I whipped something out really fast.The problem I have with pumping music out in a couple hours is that I second-guess myself on the mix. As some of you may remember, I'm currently in a small apartment that's not real great acoustics-wise. So, I would appreciate your take on my mix.Also, is this piece too broad dynamically? For music libraries should the volume and orchestration be more steady throughout, or are the peaks and valleys in this piece OK?And, finally, any compositional advice is always appreciated.Thanks!Kevinhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=66908&stream=true

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Would this Chase work for music libraries?

Post by daniel481 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 pm

Hey there, I think that it sounds good. In my opinion, the horns were maybe a bit hot when they came in, but I think overall you've gotten the vibe you were going for, and I think the mix will most likely be considered "broadcast quality". Mind taking a look at the songs I did for this listing?"Hot Pursuit"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... =1"Running to Escape"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=1Thanks, best of luck!Dan

rick
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rick » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:51 pm

I think you are on target for this listing.definitely broadcast quality.When I hear this piece I can definitely visualize a chase scene.Good Luck.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Quote:Hi all!Well, this morning, I looked on my calendar, and realized that I had forgotten about today's deadline for chase/action music. So, I whipped something out really fast.The problem I have with pumping music out in a couple hours is that I second-guess myself on the mix. As some of you may remember, I'm currently in a small apartment that's not real great acoustics-wise. So, I would appreciate your take on my mix.Also, is this piece too broad dynamically? For music libraries should the volume and orchestration be more steady throughout, or are the peaks and valleys in this piece OK?And, finally, any compositional advice is always appreciated.Thanks!Kevinhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=66908&stream=trueHey Kevin - wow, kudos on pumping this out in a couple of hours. It definately has the vibe - it has a Mission Impossible feel to it - very cool. I wasn't sure about the drums in the beginning - they sounded a little 'dry' in texture but who knows if I know anything. As the piece went on I was still interested, it's got a good forward motion and a sense of suspense. I think the percussion gives you enough forward motion that it feels cohesive even with the changes in other instruments. IMO. It works for me. I'd be interested in hearing what the screener has to say about it. cheers Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:54 pm

Yep, pretty intense, which is required in a chase tune. Good job! Echoing Bird here, it's got a "mission impossible" feel to it. Well done.

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:07 pm

Quote:Hey there, I think that it sounds good. In my opinion, the horns were maybe a bit hot when they came in, but I think overall you've gotten the vibe you were going for, and I think the mix will most likely be considered "broadcast quality". Mind taking a look at the songs I did for this listing?"Hot Pursuit"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... =1"Running to Escape"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=1Thanks, best of luck!DanNice! I like both these tracks. I like the high-energy rhythm tracks in particular. Are those loops you bought (like Stylus RMX) or did you create the rhythm tracks from scratch?

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:13 pm

They're all from scratch, I almost exclusively build everything from a variety of samples in either Logic or Pro Tools. Glad you like 'em! Now we'll just see about some forwards...Best of luck!Dan

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:13 pm

Quote:Hey Kevin - wow, kudos on pumping this out in a couple of hours.Thanks! In my own head, there are shortcomings -- such as a lack of woodwinds -- but I'm glad it holds together pretty well.Quote:I wasn't sure about the drums in the beginning - they sounded a little 'dry' in texture but who knows if I know anything.You know, I worried about that very thing, actually! Maybe I'll try a bit more reverb. The toms have reverb, but it's very short -- 0.2 seconds. I'll play with the reverb in the morning and see what it does to the track.Thanks!Kevin

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:14 pm

One exception, I forgot that the drum track in the second one is from "Brain: 1 Stroke Done", which is a great library. It is heavily modified though.

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Quote:They're all from scratch, I almost exclusively build everything from a variety of samples in either Logic or Pro Tools. Glad you like 'em! Now we'll just see about some forwards...Best of luck!DanI'm even more impressed then! I often do a combination of scratch and pre-done. For instance, I programmed the toms in my piece from scratch (Toontracks EZDrummer), but I also layered in a bongo groove I found in Spectrasonics Stylus RMX.However, I had to alter the RMX groove in several places to fit the music. That's the big problem with pre-done loops. They're less flexible. But, fortunately RMX grooves are editable in a way that audio loops aren't.