European Folk Music

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

European Folk Music

Post by mikebarresi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:52 am

Recently i went out on a whim and recorded an updated version of the Italian folk Tarentella and it got fowarded!!! i got a great critique with it too. All 9's and good comments.I joined taxi in october and now have 8 fowards out of 15 submissions. 5 songs went to the same company. Man i hope i get a call!!here is the tune http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ream=1Mike

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: European Folk Music

Post by ckbarlow » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:15 am

Hey, Mike: I just signed on to the board specifically to see if anyone had messaged about this listing. I didn't get forwarded for an original piece called My Baby Sally (http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true) - "beautiful song, well-recorded," all very positive comments -- but the reviewer said "To my ears, the beauty of this piece would need to be established through the listening of the entire piece rather than in snippets for library use."It's a simple ABAB - with a tiny intro. I was hoping to learn what I should have done differently.

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikebarresi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:30 am

Hi,this piece is very nice. It can be hard writting traditional folk music. I cheated and did an arragement of a PD tune. I can see what the screener was saying. When i listened i noticed that the melodic phrases in both the A and B section were long. This would make it hard to chop up into tiny pieces for promotional uses. That track would maybe fit better as a backround pad in a motion picture were they could use the whole song.i think??!!?!? Mike

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:50 am

Quote:Hey, Mike: I just signed on to the board specifically to see if anyone had messaged about this listing. I didn't get forwarded for an original piece called My Baby Sally (http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true) - "beautiful song, well-recorded," all very positive comments -- but the reviewer said "To my ears, the beauty of this piece would need to be established through the listening of the entire piece rather than in snippets for library use."It's a simple ABAB - with a tiny intro. I was hoping to learn what I should have done differently.I think the screener told you what you should do differently. Library music is a different kettle of fish. You need to get to the meat & potatoes, establishing the mood of the piece, instantly, at the beginning.... you can't grow into it. This is something it took me awhile to understand. Doesn't mean your piece isn't pretty. For example, you start out good, but then the melody seems to lose that identifying thing after 15 secs when it seems to slow down melodically. I would have repeated that lovely little riff with the embellishments that makes it sound 'folk' right away & continued to play my melody in that fashion, with embellishments... otherwise it sounds like a nice melody that isn't readily identifiable as 'European folk'. Good playing.If you listen to Mike's piece, as soon as it starts playing you hear European folk & it continues all the way through. Kudos for the forward, Mike!!!!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 am

I got a forward too, yahoo. It's for one of the same songs I had forwarded to the sad songs listings.alaParisMaurice and Ms Barlow, to post a direct link of your song, so people can just click on it to open (for easy feedback), copy and paste your link from here, and then bookmark the page. I bookmark it because it took me almost a year to remember how to do this quickly. Then change the song ID number and title to whatever other song you want to post. TMy Baby Sally I like your tune very much. Vikki's opinion may be spot on. Another reason that your tune might not have gotten forwarded (IMHO) is that the arrangement doesn't sound European, to my ears. Yes it's an Italian starting place, but it might not have quite the right style of European music the screeners are looking for.It's a beautiful, lovely piece tho. I'd suggest mixing it with the accordian a little quieter, if that's at all possible. And, even if you keep it exactly the way it is, it likely get forwarded to some other listing, sooner or later. Best of luck pal.

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Post by djdeweese » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:27 am

Mike--Congrats! Creative spin on a public domain piece, and a good reminder that PD pieces are good material for some listings. Thanks for sharing the success. Steve--Congrats to you too -- great track. Its always nice to have the same song get multiple forwards; leverage the work of one song into multiple possibilities.CK-- While I think you've received some thoughtful criticism here, I have to say I don't know why you weren't forwarded. The complaints the screener had with your song seem to apply equally well to Steve's tune (at least to my ears), but he got the forward deserved. (They also seem to apply to the Tarentella arrangement, except for the fact that it is recognizable on its own right.) It can be frustrating to get feedback that just doesn't seem consistent. I've seen other instances where it was suggested that the member call Taxi for direct feedback, and that Taxi has great customer service, so maybe that's worth a try. Another option would be to ask the screener directly in the Screener Shoutout area of the forum. Anyway, I really enjoyed the piece and it is certainly marketable, even if it doesn't get this forward.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:41 am

djdeweese, I disagree with your assessment. While CK's tune is good, it's a little more ambiguous & doesn't come across as definitely European. Steve's tune comes across as Russian-Parisian and each segment has a distinct melodic component. Congrats, Steve!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:44 am

thx V & djdeweese

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:11 am

Hey Mike and Steve,Congrats on the forwards. Really nice pieces.Mike, love the mandolin especially when you double track it. Very nice.Steve, anything alluding to an accordion is cool in my books. Great stuff! Very atmospheric. Nice mix of instrumentation.I got a forward too for more of a Celtic ish piece.http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=trueI'm hoping we all hear a positive response from the library.

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikebarresi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:37 am

hey Der Llamacool tune. Did you play the fiddle and other traditional instruments??? Sounds really good!mike