Amazing Grace

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Amazing Grace

Post by hummingbird » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:42 pm

Well.... I don't know about this one... but this is what I have put together http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Amazing Grace

Post by deantaylor » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:37 am

Hey Vikki,I don't know either. I usually like your arrangements, but ... not this one. It just never grabbed me. And there seemed to be a lot of background hum??? I did listen lo-fi today, but usually a good arrangement shines thru. The first 40 seconds were much better than the rest for me. But even the first 40 seconds seemed very 'textbook' .. nothing stood out. And that long hold at 0:55 really didn't work for me. Cymbol crash (or whatever that was) at about 1:14 was cool.Dean

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:46 am

Good instincts there. Well, you've got loads of options. What mood are you going for? Flat-out dirge? The snare would indicate a funeral procession, along with the pipes, much like a firefighter's funeral.I know it's tough with the pipe but could you add some strings in there sooner, percussion, something? The pipe's nice but I think it could use some variation, an alternate theme thats says "Vikki did this!" or something like that. Sorry to be so vague but it doesn't have your stamp on it for some reason. It's much like a standard rendition I hear every year at the Celtic festival, with the exception of farther into the song when he varies the melody a bit.It's a tough song to find a fresh take, isn't it?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:26 am

Thank you both for listening. I am frustrated with this. I've tried to add other instruments but I am finding that the pipes are not quite on key. In addition, the best take is the one we did without a click track & that is frustrating my ability to add other things as well. Lesson learned, there. The only thing I can add is voice, I think. I appreciate you taking a listen I will go back to the drawing board and see what I can do with this.Original versions with BAGPIPE ACCOMPANIMENT of the Traditional/Public Domain spiritual hymn/song "AMAZING GRACE" are needed by a Music Library/Publisher with many high-level network contacts and TAXI song placements (mostly network TV shows). Both VOCAL and INSTRUMENTAL versions are OK, but you must incorporate bagpipes in your cover of this popular song. Great performances are essential.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:06 am

Quote:Thank you both for listening. I am frustrated with this. I've tried to add other instruments but I am finding that the pipes are not quite on key. In addition, the best take is the one we did without a click track & that is frustrating my ability to add other things as well. Lesson learned, there. The only thing I can add is voice, I think. I appreciate you taking a listen I will go back to the drawing board and see what I can do with this.Original versions with BAGPIPE ACCOMPANIMENT of the Traditional/Public Domain spiritual hymn/song "AMAZING GRACE" are needed by a Music Library/Publisher with many high-level network contacts and TAXI song placements (mostly network TV shows). Both VOCAL and INSTRUMENTAL versions are OK, but you must incorporate bagpipes in your cover of this popular song. Great performances are essential. yeah, I caught the off-key problem. I think an acapella descant without lyrics (or something) would be lovely with this and it would solve the clickless problem. You can adjust the pitch of your voice to suit his off-key parts. I don't think it's a throwaway rendition but I can see how this could be frustrating. I hate when I miss something based on another player's performance (or my own). I hate missing, period.