Hello Everyone

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

boardman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Hello Everyone

Post by boardman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:36 am

A friend of mine told me about Taxi.com so I thought I'd check it out. After reading the info on the website, ordering the free information packet and reading many of your posts, I think that Taxi is for me. I would love to get into the world of TV/Film composing and I strongly believe that Taxi is my ticket there. I realize that all of you are busy people .... but if anyone has a spare second and would like to check out some of my more recent works, please feel free. I would love to hear what other accomplished musicians think of my music and any feedback would be awesome!Now that I'm registered on the Taxi forum, I plan on giving as much input back to you guys as I can.Great to be a part of the group!!!-BoardmanHere's my websitewww.myspace.com/drboardman

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by squidlips » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:48 am

Hey boardman:Checked it out, COOL STUFF!! You're gonna fit right in. I already heard bits and pieces of stuff that'd work on the CSI listings, etc. Neat! You got some cool offbeat rhythms happening.Is that you in the photo? If it is, who makes that bass? And the background you've got looks like where I live. Cool.

boardman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boardman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:59 am

Hey Squidlips,Thanks so much for checkin out my stuff. It's great to hear such a positive response right off the bat. That is me in the photo with my old band Suspect Change playing a gig in Narragansett, RI. The bass is a Warwich, 4-string frettless Corvette. I've been doing so much recording with Reason lately, that I feel like I'm neglecting it . Just not enough hours in the day I guess.I'm gonna check out your stuff right now. Thanks again for taking the time!!!

boardman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boardman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:12 am

Amazing sounding tracks, Squidlips!!! Your voice and talent for production are quite a gift. I loved the overall feel in "Lord's Prayer Aramaic".......very trance-like.Looking forward to hearing more of your songs

matthewhaw

Post by matthewhaw » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:51 am

Hey Man, Welcome!I really enjoyed your track "Bethy Boop" I hope you do well here!-M.R.H.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:43 pm

Quote:Amazing sounding tracks, Squidlips!!! Your voice and talent for production are quite a gift. I loved the overall feel in "Lord's Prayer Aramaic".......very trance-like.Looking forward to hearing more of your songs Thanks for the compliment, that's sweet of you. And thanks for sharing about the bass. Hubby's looking for one and I couldn't remember the name of one I heard a guy playing in Atlanta once until I saw yours. Same bass, lucky me!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Quote:A friend of mine told me about Taxi.com so I thought I'd check it out. After reading the info on the website, ordering the free information packet and reading many of your posts, I think that Taxi is for me. I would love to get into the world of TV/Film composing and I strongly believe that Taxi is my ticket there. I realize that all of you are busy people .... but if anyone has a spare second and would like to check out some of my more recent works, please feel free. I would love to hear what other accomplished musicians think of my music and any feedback would be awesome!Now that I'm registered on the Taxi forum, I plan on giving as much input back to you guys as I can.Great to be a part of the group!!!-BoardmanHere's my websitewww.myspace.com/drboardmanHello Boardman,Taxi definitely has a seemingly never-ending stream of listings to submit music to. The critiques are really the key. Each and every critique, in and of itself, isn't going to be an astounding wealth of information but it doesn't take long before you start seeing patterns, commonality between the critiques. Then you can work on the things that need work and leave alone the stuff that's already working.When I first joined (2004) my "issue" was mostly with an outdated style. Sound and production were fine. So I work on becoming more modern and useful and I don't spend much time doing "extra" production stuff beyond what I already do.I listened to your tracks. You have nice compositions and interesting ideas. One thing that you'll really need to consider is that for film/tv listings, the focus is on good, quality instrument sounds and realism. This is a budget issue, not a composing issue. For example, I think "Once I'll" is a very good composition but the instrumentation is using low quality representations of various instruments. For film/tv, it really needs to be where nobody can tell if the instruments are real or not. If you took that fine composition and piped it through a new set of virtual instruments, it would then be on a whole 'nother level and all you did was spend a little dough for some better sounds. That's a LOT easier than being "out of date". I started with a small collection of virtual instruments, enough to be self-sufficient in producing tracks with good quality representations of synth, orchestra, piano, guitars, drums and percussion. Glad you're hear and I hope to hear more good music. Dave

boardman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boardman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:01 pm

Thanks so much for the in-depth response to my post, Dave! I have been thinking a lot about updating my recording setup (computer, software, etc.) I'm mainly interested in working with virtual instruments and not so much audio in recording. It's definitely time for a new computer system. I was checking out the Macbook Pro with 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2G memory. The EWQLSO program has been mentioned more than a few times in this forum and I'm interested in checking this out as well. Do you have any ideas concerning a good place to start to build a "broadcast quality" home studio? Again, thank you so much for taking the time to spread knowledge and input!