how's my dirge coming along?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Re: how's my dirge coming along?

Post by mixopenta » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm whishing you the best of luck on this one, and even if it doesn't make this particular listing, you know it's a song worth fighting for. Love it!Just a general comment about production, as there were some of us (miself included), that couldn't distinguish the real thing from a "fake" one. One of the hardest things in terms of production and engineering, is to capture the proportions between eletronically generated sounds (samples included) and real, accoustic miked sounds. I think that is what's causing some concerns over this one IMHO. In this case it's mainly about the proportional balance between the voice, piano and pipe.If you were to put these three elements in a live situation without any amplification, what element would have the strongest vs the weakest SPL, and how do they blend accoustically? This is a balance not only in level, but it is also a spectral one.Having an accoustical environment in mind, and putting these three elements in that same space would consequently render a specific signature balance, which is extremely tricky to reproduce when recording them separately, while also blending electronic and accoustic sounds.What I want to say is, that this is something that even well seasoned engineers have difficulties with, so I think you did a great job considering you're in a "learning" stage of production and engineering.Great job!