"Burn" - let me have it..

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thirtysecbreeze

"Burn" - let me have it..

Post by thirtysecbreeze » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Hey guys. First time posting on here.. so I hope I do this all correctly. I am not going to apologize for its lack of mastering or sound qualities as I have just freshly delved into recording my own stuff. Let me know what you think. I am not going to get my feelings hurt here! I just need honest opinions! I have not yet figured out how to throw up one of those quickie links to open the mp3 player.. so this link will direct you to my soundclick page where I have two acoustic songs up. "No More" and "Burn". Choose one, or do both. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... ID=742003I thank you in advance for helping my music better itself.

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Burn" - let me have it..

Post by rnrmachine » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:50 am

"No more", I like the guitar coming in but 30 seconds till a vocal is heard is far too long for radio if that is what you are after. Very nice song, I can hear it done up in a a full production in my head and I like the song. You're a decent singer, ya have that "chest" voice of the more current rock sound. Like ya said, the production was on the begginer side so I won't bother going into that other then maybe ya ought to grab a book such as. http://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Guide-H ... sr=8-1It's a good book."Burn" I didn't find as good as "No More" on the first listen, but after I gave it another go I could hear even more production that I would do to it and it could be really good. More of a song that gets more listening AFTER everyone gets tired of the hit song that brought ya out.. if ya follow me.Good Luck in all ya do,Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:20 am

I agree with Rob: 1) good vocal tone, 2) more production for these songs would be appropriate, 3) intros are too long, 4) but VERY enjoyable overall! Congrats so far!Here's more constructive criticism, but keep in mind: I'm a singer / guitar player so I can't help but really dig your playing and singing no matter what!! I can relate, dude!Although I think you've got a lot going for you in both your vocals and guitar playing, I am distracted by off-pitch issues in your vocals. Personally, I sang in competitive choir ensembles when I was in school so I have a hyper-sensitive ear for pitch troubles. If your live singing can't get closer to pitch then I would recommend pitch correction software for your produced tracks. Your vocal performance strengths are worth investing the time and resources. I wish that I was so blessed.IMHO your compositions lack structure and memorable hooks. After listening last night I started humming your basic melodies to myself and came up with at least half a dozen ways to add pre-choruses, bridges, more distinctive choruses, and rhythm changes. As-is, your tunes sound introverted and emotionally constant as opposed to reaching out and grabbing the listener. If you want to sell these songs for others to perform you'll need all these interesting devices I've mentioned. But if you want to sell your recorded performances it could be argued you may need fewer song-structure enhancements but for sure you'll need to sing like a world-class performer, plus, you'll need to decide if you're striving for either 1) a solo performer vibe or, 2) a fully produced vibe with a band. Your present tracks try to do both and that doesn't work for me.To single out one technical point, I hear you experimenting with reverb in your vocals. It's always good to experiment, but to my ears, your style is better without it. Also, your choice of reverb doesn't work for my ears. I heard a sound that was too wet, too bright, too artificial for my taste. If you're like me, you'll enjoy experimenting further with reverb. My experience has been that reverb is my worst nightmare and less (if not none) is definitely more!One last suggestion - maybe the most important one: Take a lesson from our wonderful forum member hummingbird and 1) take every critique as a learning experience, and 2) above all: make the changes - don't just think about them!Good luck and be sure to keep at it! There's nowhere to go but up, friend!!-Allen

thirtysecbreeze

Post by thirtysecbreeze » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:38 am

Thanks. I really do appreciate the thoughts ideas. I am on an ever-constant quest it seems to make the best out of my work. Whether with my band, or doing the acoustic thing and I would not have it any other way. I think I will like this forum VERY much! And to respond Rob, I will most def. grab up that book and add it to my arsenal. Good thing I like to read.