"Twilight" - how am I doing?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

"Twilight" - how am I doing?

Post by hummingbird » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:11 am

I wrote this in July before I left for hols, and just spent some time working with the tracks. I'll be pitching for film/tv, of course, and I think it sounds pretty good, but I need your objective ears to pick out any glitches Twilight - http://www.vikkiflawith.com/song/1
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Twilight" - how am I doing?

Post by crs7string » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:42 am

Vikki,I think writing effectively for strings probably takes a couple of lifetimes to learn.When you write your string parts are you notating the parts or just inputting to your sequencer?. I've tried both ways and I've found when you write the string parts independent of the recording of them you tend to write better parts. It is easy to fall into the trap of writing "footballs" (whole notes) when you are inputting to a sequencer. When you write each line separately you have the opportunity to "see" places where the cello line can offer some melodic motion or the violas can rhythmically play a line that is not exactly in sync with the violins. (ie. enter on the second or third beat of the measure with a chord tone)Studying voice leading takes another couple of lifetimes. By visually reviewing what you write it seems to be easier to find a common tone that will carry over to the next chord change, and that can be any of the voices. I also try to think about being the violinist or cellist that needs to play the part--does it sing--is there a melody? Or I'm I falling to sleep playing "footballs" ( I learned that phrase from a string player)An exercise I've been doing of late is to notate four parts and 8 or 16 bars of music at the piano. It is not always easy to play all four at the same times, but it is fairly easy to play the violin with the bass or cello etc. If by breaking down the parts and if they still sound interesting and work together they are only going to sound better with a great orchestra library.Having said all that I think you have an opportunity to choose not to play "football" and get your strings to "sing" I'm sure as a singer you have sung in ensembles where you can hear the tenors and basses sing some very interesting parts at times. I do like the little woodwind parts that are commenting along the way. Give your strings the permission to add their two cents.On the same journey as you to write better.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:34 am

Excellent suggestion! I do notate the melody and sometimes the harmonic rifts that play in and out, but I hadn't thought of going deeper, or that the strings would have a 'melody' of their own. You're right, you start thinking of strings as having a minimalist feel and they end up playing long notes without a lot of variation. I'll fiddle around with that.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:30 am

Vikki,I can't be of too much help to you on this one, but I liked the feel of it just fine. Didn't wow me, but I liked it. There was something about 2 back to back notes right at 30 seconds that my ear didn't like. Dean

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:08 pm

Quote:Vikki,I can't be of too much help to you on this one, but I liked the feel of it just fine. Didn't wow me, but I liked it. There was something about 2 back to back notes right at 30 seconds that my ear didn't like. DeanHey thanks for the listen Dean. I'll check out that spot. Good to see you here, too

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Sounds like an excellent exercise to be doing. I've only recently been able to get the woodwinds happening the way I want, so now I have to apply the same idea to the strings. I agree, the ability to conceptualize several melodies at once would be a good thing... thinking like an old-time composer, like Mozart, who could hear all the sections in his mind and just had to write it out.H

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Quote:Quote:Vikki,I can't be of too much help to you on this one, but I liked the feel of it just fine. Didn't wow me, but I liked it. There was something about 2 back to back notes right at 30 seconds that my ear didn't like. DeanHey thanks for the listen Dean. I'll check out that spot. Good to see you here, too To be brutal,it ruins an otherwise very nice piece.All the anti-johnny folks will say how wrong I am and if you listen to them you will be stuck with a pig.HTH BTW,it doesn't really matter but the first few notes remind me of The Beatles......."Because"