Is this song a HIT?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Is this song a HIT?

Post by deantaylor » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:01 pm

Please judge us tough, but fair. 100% honest opinion appreciated.1. If recorded by a Michael Bublé-type, could this song make it onto Billboard’s charts, probably the Adult Contemporary chart? Or is it more of an ‘album’ song? Or not that good?2. Would this song, recorded as it is, be forwarded for an appropriate Taxi film/tv opp? 3. We think it would be a very good song for Bublé. Agree? What other current artists would the song be good for? 4. All other comments welcomed. Thanks so much for your feedback, we know it takes time.SincerelyDean Taylor (and Chris Maxwell) Title: MY CHANGE-ME GIRLhttp://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=48096 ...........

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Is this song a HIT?

Post by carr » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:14 pm

Sorry Guys but the melody doesnt take me anywhere special And I like laid back soft Jazz type numbers

rick
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rick » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:59 pm

YOU HAVE A UNIQUE TITLE WHICH IS IMPORTANT.I REALLY LIKE THE FEEL AND GROOVE OF THE VERSE AS WELL AS THE VERSE MELODY.NICE BUILD-UP TO THE CHORUS MELODICALLY.AT THIS POINT IN THE SONG I WAS ALL SET FOR THE CHORUS TO EXPLODE AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.JUST A FEW NOTE ADJUSTMENT CAN MAKE IT A KILLER CHORUS.EXCELLENT BRIDGE NICE CONTRAST TO REST OF SONG.OVERALL YOU HAVE A GREAT SONG BUT THE CHORUS MUST BE MUCH STRONGER.MAKE IT REACH OUT AND GRAB THE LISTENERS.DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS TUNE BEST OF LUCK

vermeer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vermeer » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:27 am

OK, here it goes:Pros:- Good production.Cons:- Flat delivery. The singer is great, but he's just phoning in this one. Does he really care about that girl?- I've already forgotten the chorus and verse melodies. That's not good.- Unfocused lyrics. What's a "Change Me Girl". What's this song about? Love, right?Constructive Stuff- If you have an artist in mind, the way to look at it is to imagine yourself pitching it to his competitor: what kind of song would allow an unknown artist to beat Bublé on the charts? Probably not this one.- Guys like Bublé are like Frank Sinatra: they need new "signature" songs that are univeral, yet sound like they wrote them themselves. Don't despair; Billy Joel wrote "New York state of mind" for Frank Sinatra who turned it down. It's not a bad song, but Sinatra had already done "New York, New York". He wanted something new to say. Vermeer (cowardly running for cover )

emusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by emusic » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:45 am

Honestly, not a hitsong in my book. Good production though. Need a little pitchcorrection some places in main vocal.Would like to hear a chorus really explode here somewhere. That would lift it, but the feel is too jazzy to me to be a hit.It sounds so relaxed and fine that the hard quantitation on the elpianotrills could have been dequantized a tad to make it more lifelike.Nice relaxed tune, but without a killer hook/chorus.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:36 am

Hi, Dean. I always think it's important when reviewing a song to list its strong points first.Here's what I think are the strong points:I really like your hook and chorus here. You have a unique idea too with "you're my change me girl." I found myself singing along to it, really liking the 'catchyness' of it. I like the 80's vibe. It's very retro....overall, this is a good song. Here's what I thought were the weaknesses. I couldn't hear some of your words all that well, especially in the first part of the song. They sounded garbled to me, although I could make out your basic premise. In this day and time, all the words have to be audible...you might have gotten away with that in times past Also, your song was just too long for hit standards.' To make hit radio play in America at least (maybe that's not your goal), a tune should be no more than 3 and a half minutes, although there are exceptions to any rule. I would also structure your song more tightly.....your chorus is really good and could stand out more if you can shorten your song and make it a little more concise.You had a bridge at the end of it all....it was okay, but I don't think you needed it....it also added more of that time element you could do without.With some changes, maybe your song could be a hit....although if we knew that indefinable something that goes into a making a hit, we wouldn't be pitching so hard ourselves.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone!! 6 reviews in one day. Fantastic! You treat a 'newbee' well here. Thanks for all the honest and constructive comments. It will take us a little while to work through them and decide which if any ring true with us and if we will make any changes. I'll let you know how that goes. Also, I am a little slow, but I'll try to get around and review your songs, too, to help repay the kind favor you have done for us here.Sincerely,Dean (and Chris)

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:02 am

PS Of course, we are still listening if anyone else wants to comment.Thanks.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:44 am

Morn Dean I think the song has a lot of potential as an R&B track. A hit? Probably not, but hits are hard to come by anyway. The huge majority of any market for a song like this would probably be film/TV.That being said I think the performance and production isn't doing any justice to what could be good. The overall production doesn't have a film/TV ready sound. The lead vocalist has to have much more emotion and this thought... When you have an R&B track like this which doesn't vary much in melody or rhythm what can make it work is a second vocal on the chorus- one that really let's it wail on high notes and ad-libs giving it "soul", for lack of a better word. I hope I am explaining this correctly. You have the main lead vocal where it is and on top of it, the killer "Change Me Girl"/ooooo's/ad-libs, etc... Damn! I can't think of an example song right now but it will come to me.One thing about film/TV I always mention is that a song being a bit dated is not the kiss-of-death it once was. There are often calls for songs that sound like those of any decade. I'm not sure how you visualize this- 60s, 70s, 80s, or modern but I hear more of a decade past. If you end up with a kick-ass 60's or 70's R&B track, that's OK!All the best!Your old friend ("old" meaning a long time, LOL) Casey

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:29 am

just listened.I think a most important point already have been said.however I found the production ok (some parts, eg the guitar in the beginning, are unconstant in the volume-level) but not special. the performance is mediocre in my ears - the singers voice is ok, but it seems to be too low (key!) for him, he's just murmur - I don't believe him what he sings and he doesn't transport the melody either in that way.so a hit - I don't think so. for film/tv there might be a slot for it, although I know better sounding material in that style.btw: if something becomes a hit or not is not only up to the song. there are A LOT more factors involved in a hit, many the composer or producer can't controll (desicions of the label, the audience, etc). so if I was you I just would try to create the best song I possibly can at that moment and also work continual on your skills. maybe you'll get a hit one day, maybe not - there are no garantees & I think it's pointless to invest energy in thinking if a songs gets a hit.my 2 cents.martin
production, composition & stringed instruments