im surprised

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

frequency

im surprised

Post by frequency » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:56 am

i guess we suck and nobody wants to tell us.im surprised that we havent gotten any feedback...we've gotten a good response over 2 songs Rainy Daze &WonderFul LiFefrom friends and family...... but thats friends and familywe'd would love some feedback from other musicians... thanks FreQuency http://www.myspace.com/myfreakspace

chrisbee
Impressive
Impressive

Re: im surprised

Post by chrisbee » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:36 am

hey frequency! I don't know enough about hiphop to really give you an completely educated response, bro - but I know you're looking for feedback from peers and wanted to give you some.I like the melody in the female vocal on Rainy! It's kinda cool. But the thing that really stands out to me in this song is that the groove you use in the song is a "stock" groove. Because I own one, I can even tell you what # preset from a Korg Triton LE it is - and that's not a good thing.People are pretty sophisticated now-a-days when it comes to grooves. There are many fantastic loop libraries out there if you aren't going to create your own. You may need to invest in some in order to stay current sounding and somewhat unique.Other than that, I didn't feel like the songs really built or went anywhere - they were just kinda flat from start to finish. BUT take that last with a grain of salt - I'm not really a hiphop guy and that might be more of what people expect in this genre, I don't know.Overall I have to say keep writing and producing! Learn from every song and experience. You can do this but the learning curve will be steep at times. Get critiques from the screeners - THEY know your genre and can give you specifics. You may disagree with a screener at times and that's fine, but if more than one screener says basically the same thing, they're probably right: they've found a weakness in the song, performance or production. Best thing to do at that point is to work on your weaknesses, fix it and try again! It's been said many times, but it's true - people don't fail, they give up too soon!! So don't give up!cb

vermeer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vermeer » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:20 am

I don't know for others, but when I first visited your page I believed it was a "joke" band (yo, the black tooth fairy??), so I didn't bother.Here it goes:Pros:- You've got a MySpace page. Cons:- All the songs on your page are basic/common beats with singing on top. They all scream "bedroom" from miles away.- Too many cliche. So many in fact, it's painful at times. - No hook. Listen to anything by Dr Dre or Timbaland: there's always a hook. In fact, once they find a hook, they milk it to death.Keep on practicing your craft. It takes a while. I can't listen to stuff I wrote 5 years ago. Also, don't ask you family about your songs. They never told me when *I*sucked: they just looked away and changed the subject. Vermeer

emusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Hook alert!

Post by emusic » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 pm

Rainy DazeI really planned to stop listening before 1:23 but then that VERY cool theme came in. Make that the chorus. Thats a brilliant HOOK. Make it come earlier and more often. Some of the other themes are also ok/good but the one around 1:23 is THE hook.Didnt listen to the other ones.And now rainy daze is done and that brilliant 1:23 theme never came back more than once. Do something !Have to repeat my words; the 1:23 theme is a GIANT hook/chorus idea. The poster over me is both wrong and right. Wrong saying there is no hook. Right saying Timbaland would milk a hook like that at least 50% of his song, probably more than 60%. He would probably also simplify the hooks lyrics with more repetition, but please dont destroy the nice vocal rythm change in the hooks 3rd line is it?Go milk!

dayson1
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dayson1 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Hey Frequency, I had a listen to a couple of your songs, and I think you have some real potential Your music does not suck! you have some really catchy things going on it Tequila Sunrise I think with maybe some tighter mixing to bring everything to the front will help. I'm not crazy about the vocalizing in the intro, it doesn't sound soulful enough for the sound that you're going for(imo)I would want the beats to hit harder just boost everything up about 10 notches and I say you are pretty solid! I enjoyed my listen, I would keep honing my skills to the utmost. When you get to the point where people just comment on how good your songs are, without you asking-You'll know you're making progress Write on! Never give up-Dana
Dana