Our Last Chance

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Our Last Chance

Post by rockmann » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am

Quote:There was an article on Recording magazine a few months ago that talked extensively about mixing bass, giving a few useful tricks. I know it has helped me a lot in mixing bass tracks lately.Thanks, Antonio. I'll search for that now. Maybe this will be the article I've been looking for.

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Ok, so it was more than a few months ago, it was actually the April 2006 issue (I keep the ones with good articles on them). There's two articles on that issue that may be of interest to you: "The low down on the low end" and "Tracking and mixing for solid lows".Just so you know there is no magic trick on those articles, it still takes a lot of experimentation and using your ears but the tips they have are really useful.Antonio

vermeer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vermeer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 pm

There's a reason nobody comented at first: heavy music is hard to get into unless you're really young. Production-wise, I think you should find a close example and study how they approach the mix. From what I can hear, you are going for a mix of Ozzy (any post 1995) and Queensryche ("Rage for Order" or "Operation Mindcrime"). Any of those two is a great start. As for mixing the bass...The important thing in heavy music is to choose which instrument is going to carry the bass frequency: the bass drum (VanHalen) or the bass guitar (everybody else). Then, just remove the other instruments from that frequency. For a great example of high-end bedroom (Digi001 + plugins) production see "Fragile" from Half the World.Hope it helps,Vermeer

emusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by emusic » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:53 am

@ Rocker.I like it allthough not my cup.Mixwise; in the chorus, make line 1 and 3 stand out better vocally. Noone mixes it that way nowadays - allmost as background vocals. Its a chorus, make it shine.Other than that; sounded great on my MDR 7506, as everything does Good job.

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:44 am

Quote:There's two articles on that issue that may be of interest to you: "The low down on the low end" and "Tracking and mixing for solid lows".Thanks... those sound very promising. I'll see if I can round 'em up.Quote:Just so you know there is no magic trick on those articles, it still takes a lot of experimentation and using your ears but the tips they have are really useful.Yup. I'm aware of that. I'm just looking to learn a bit more maybe have it explained in a way that will finally make a light go off in my head or something. Thanks again.

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:53 am

Quote:There's a reason nobody comented at first: heavy music is hard to get into unless you're really young. That must be were the saying came from, "If it's too loud, you're too old". Quote:Production-wise, I think you should find a close example and study how they approach the mix. From what I can hear, you are going for a mix of Ozzy (any post 1995) and Queensryche ("Rage for Order" or "Operation Mindcrime"). Any of those two is a great start.Great advice. I try to do that. I've actively used Queensryche in the past as a model. Maybe I'll refresh my ears with an example or two from them.Quote:As for mixing the bass...The important thing in heavy music is to choose which instrument is going to carry the bass frequency: the bass drum (VanHalen) or the bass guitar (everybody else). Then, just remove the other instruments from that frequency. For a great example of high-end bedroom (Digi001 + plugins) production see "Fragile" from Half the World.Great tips. It's always good to remember to improve by subtraction when it comes to EQ. And the example you give has some great production. I'll learn from it, do doubt. Thanks!

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:56 am

Quote:rocker, thanks for sharing your song. It's not a genre I know well so I don't have much to add, but I hear good things in the song. www.soundonsound.com magazine does good mix rescue articles that often address bass issues. I find the compression is usually not extreme, and EQ helps bring out the magic. There are also tools like psp's mixbass that focus on bringing out punch and bottom end.Thanks, 'songwriter'! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. I found soundonsound yesterday searching for bass compression articles. There is some great stuff there. I've got enough plugins already, I believe. I just need to get a complete grasp on how to use them and where to use them sometimes.

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:58 am

Quote:@ Rocker. I like it allthough not my cup.Mixwise; in the chorus, make line 1 and 3 stand out better vocally. Noone mixes it that way nowadays - allmost as background vocals. Its a chorus, make it shine.Very true... The chorus could use a dash of spice or something. Quote:Other than that; sounded great on my MDR 7506, as everything does Good job.Thanks! I appreciate that.