Unholy War

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

donnypike
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Unholy War

Post by donnypike » Tue May 08, 2007 7:24 am

Alternate title ( I Have Camel Dung On My Boots ). My attempt at a desert feel. No more taxiguys zip to download. Just click the link below to play the song.Donny Pikehttp://donnypike.org/UnholyWar.mp3

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Unholy War

Post by mazz » Wed May 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Donny,I hope this note finds you in a place to live, I'm sure it's stressful to be uprooted as you were. Good luck on that. My thoughts are with you.I really like your writing and your musical style. I understand that you don't have a budget to upgrade your sounds right now and I think that is what is really going to hold you back from getting forwarded. I know you enter your notes on a TAB style program and I think that is another thing that makes your music sound a bit too MIDI and mechanical. If there were any way you could export the MIDI files to a sequencer that allowed you to move things around or even use a "humanize" function, that would help the feel a lot.With your musicianship and background, I would imagine that you could find a collaborator there on the Islands that has a studio and some upgraded sounds that you could work with. I'm sure you could work out some business arrangement that would be favorable. Given the quality of your writing, you might be able to generate some business if your sounds were more up to date.These are just my opinions and I'm not trying to be harsh. I'm also not coming from my "gear-meister" persona. I've recently had returns that said my strings sounded "dated" and I have one of the best libraries out there! Makes me want to look at how I wrote those parts but it's also, to me, indicitive of the quality of sound that the industry is hearing and demanding these days. I respect your talent and abilities and once you get settled in, I bet you could find a willing collaborator that could help you get your stuff out there in the form it deserves.Aloha,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

donnypike
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Unholy War

Post by donnypike » Wed May 09, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks for the insightful remarks. You have never sounded harsh in anything you have ever said about my music. You have a way of presenting your ideas in a positive constructive way that has always left me feeling good about my music. It's nice to have someone who can listen through the MIDI to the music underneath. Thanks againDonnyP.S. Less than a week left and still no place to go.