NEWBIE needs a quick listen

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

NEWBIE needs a quick listen

Post by anne » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Hello all - this is just some electronic background music we were playing with. I know it isn't anywhere near the quality of things I've been seeing on these boards, but I'm just starting to write more electronic material after 23 years off (thus the request for gentle but honest critiques)If it were needed for 60 seconds behind some type of commercial, would we even be on the right track? In the right railyard? The right planet?Umm, figure a chemist looking at something problematic, gets an idea, starts pouring stuff together, and then voila! the problem is solved. That was what the thought was behind this little demo. Thanks in advance - Anne http://www.hscoinc.com/taxi/Anne_60secondDemo_Taxi.mp3

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Re: NEWBIE needs a quick listen

Post by carr » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:13 pm

There isnt a real strong Melody line in this that makes me want to sit up and take notice and i guess thats what prodcuct people want..Keep working at it. You will know whenyou have something hot. Then the work starts..shopping it around

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:39 am

Thanks - That actually is a question I have. Do you want a strong melody line in commercials or not - if anyone can answer that for me I'd appreciate the info.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:58 am

AnneI started submitting the backing trracks to my recordings about two months ago... just the backing taking out the vocals.. . so far everything has been a return witht the same comment mentioned above " lacks a distinctive melodic phrase...." I am rethinking and getting the feeling that the tracks need some melodic theme or signature instrument in order to be "instumental". Otherwise... the listing itself would say "looking for backing tracks...." The other question that was floating round was if you sign a contract on an instrumental of a song that you also want to pitch as a vocal in the song pitch or artist market, how do you avoid getting your hands tied.....?ArkJackJack

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:18 am

Hi Jack - I wonder about the question of pitching both the music and the music / vocal version of the song. I was reading about an old practice of changing the music only version slightly and retitle it so that you can actually have it as a separate piece of music. I know nothing about this myself!I will keep working on the music and I appreciate any feedback as it is a HUGE help.

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:04 pm

Even a backing track needs to be memorable. This is different from Incidental music.Think.. " Its the real thing " coca cola ..Think about TV commercials and which ads you remember. Some will be very visual, some will have strong music ( and then there is the rubbish ) .Thats why a lot of songs are being revived from the 70's and 80's and used to underline ads. They are very melodic

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:10 am

Great point Carr - I just found 2 books on the subject that I ordered from Barnes and Nobel as well. I spent a good part of yesterday just listening to the commercials on television also - I found some that were incidental, some familiar songs, and then some that were really catchy but without words. It really started making sense over the day as to what music fit what type of commercials, and was most noticeable when it was a poor fit. Thanks again for your help!

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by walter327 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:37 pm

I like that, Anne. Great beat and sound. Got any lyrics to it?Walt
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:57 am

Hi Walt - I don't have lyrics unfortunately. I've never been able to get the hang of it because everything I have to say always sounds either corny or lofty. Any ideas?

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:51 am

Quote:Hi Walt - I don't have lyrics unfortunately. I've never been able to get the hang of it because everything I have to say always sounds either corny or lofty. Any ideas?Start with corny and keep rewriting. You have to jump in and get wet.