Comments please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dgolding
Impressive
Impressive

Comments please

Post by dgolding » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Hi all. I guess I'll get right down to the point. I'm trying to decide if it's worth me spending the money on joining taxi and submitting my stuff. I'm not even sure that my kind of stuff is what anyone looks for, let alone if it's good enuff.I threw a couple of things up on broadjam.http://www.broadjam.com/goldingDreamworld is, I guess an ambient track, and is over 7 minutes, so I guess it's way too long, but maybe sections of it?The Journey is what I guess would be neo classical? who knows? I could probably see it in movie, but will anyone else?Thoughts and comments would be welcome.
It's a fine line between a thick soup and stew.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Comments please

Post by davewalton » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:30 pm

Quote:I threw a couple of things up on broadjam.http://www.broadjam.com/goldngDreamworld is, I guess an ambient track, and is over 7 minutes, so I guess it's way too long, but maybe sections of it?The Journey is what I guess would be neo classical? who knows? I could probably see it in movie, but will anyone else?Thoughts and comments would be welcome. Oops... the Broadjam URL you gave is missing the "i" in golding. Here is the URL for the rest of you "point-and-click"ers: www.Broadjam.com/Golding=============== ... ========Hi Dave,First I have to compliment your parents on their great choice of first names as well yourself for your great choice in song names (I'm a "Dave" and I have a "Dreamworld" track as well). Have you looked through the listings? If not, go to the Taxi homepage and click on "Industry Listings" more or less in the middle of the page. You can sign up to receive those listings via email automatically (it's free). You just can't submit unless you're a member. It would be a good idea to follow the listings for a little while and see what opportunities pop up that appeal to you.Your two tracks generally fall into the "New Age" category in the listings. Listings come out every two weeks. In the current listing there is only one New Age listing. There's usually more than one New Age listing but that category will never be as popular as Country, R&B, or Pop. There's also an "Instrumental" category where these two songs might not work but maybe others would or you might write something specifically for some of those listings.Just dealing with the one New Age listing it seems to be right up your alley. I'd say that Dreamworld would have a good chance of getting forwarded. It's a very nice track and has a quality sound to it. Journey Home might have less of a chance but only because the quality of the piano sample (and the strings to some degree) isn't a good as it could be. Of course that's not a music issue, but rather a budget issue. However, it will reflect on the track itself since music libraries want tracks that are "broadcast quality". This is only my personal opinion and probably more of a guess than anything else, but I'd say that Dreamworld would meet the broadcast quality standard while Journey Home might not. Maybe others could chime in and you'd get more of an informed consensus.When I first joined Taxi in 2004, all my tracks (all three of them ) were "new age". There is a market for New Age both as an artist and for music used in film and televison. However, I saw that the New Age market was fairly limited. I saw no real reason to stop doing New Age altogether, but I decided to expand my musical horizons and try to do things that were more marketable yet still enjoyable. For example, there is an Instrumental category listing for "drama music", dark, moody tracks, what I call "CSI music". That's something I really didn't even think about doing when I first came to Taxi. Eventually I started writing music for these kind of listings that were different from what I had done but not entirely out of my grasp. It took quite a few attempts (many, many) and lots of Taxi critiques but eventually I started to be able to think in music terms other than or rather, in addition to, New Age. All that to say that if New Age is what you're going after, then you'll really need to follow the listings for a while and see if you think there's enough New Age type listings overall to make it worth while. On the other hand, there's a lot more to Taxi than just the listings. I used Taxi (and the critiques) to open up some new music worlds for me outside of New Age. Now I'm pretty comfortable with film/tv orchestral (not classical) and electronica (some of that dark, moody stuff). Ironically I pretty much dropped trying to do Jazz. I used to think I was pretty good at it but I found out I'm really not. Good luck with your stuff. Hang around the forum for a while. It's a great place to learn and observe interesting personalities. Dave

dgolding
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Comments please

Post by dgolding » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the response.I fixed the Broadjam URL, looks good when I even get my own name wrong...What you say is interesting, and seems perfectly good advice to me. I kinda like the idea of changing direction a bit to meet a requirement. Maybe it'll make me stretch a bit, musically. I don't feel particularly tied to New Age, but that's what seems to naturally flow out. I too have tried jazz, and the only thing I can say, is that it sounds about as convincing as Dick Van Dyke's English accent in Mary Poppins. I've been 'lurking' in these hallowod pages for a few days, and I have already learned some useful info.Thanks for the words of wisdom, and encouragement.
It's a fine line between a thick soup and stew.