will it come

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thesucker

will it come

Post by thesucker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:02 am

Hi folks, Sweet...my first submission!Here was the dispatch:"The Music Supervisor for a very popular pay-Cable TV series needs aSINGER-SONGWRITER/ROCK SONG with a similar lyrical theme and musicalvibe/sound to BOB DYLAN'S "KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR." She needssomething mellow, haunting, and sentimental. She prefers more of anover-all acoustic sound, but a full band recording is OK as well -she just can't use anything that rocks too much (no huge drum sound,blaring electric guitars, booming bass, etc.). It needs to be slow-to mid-tempo as it's for a family death scene in the show. Male orfemale vocals are OK and they don't need to sound young & fresh -they're also open to an experienced/seasoned vocal (a la Dylan's inthat regard, but you don't need to sound like Dylan). Either way,your vocal performance must be great - thinkwarm/earthy/yearning/emotional/searching. "Crossing my fingers, I guess. Anyone care to give it listen and tell me what you think? http://www.broadjam.com/artists/artisti ... 9276Thanks!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: will it come

Post by Casey H » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:27 am

HiI think it's a really nice song with the right vibe. The things that come to mind that might keep it from being forwarded are: the lyrics are a bit vague (all though Dylan songs all are too!) and I'm not sure the performance on the guitar sounds pro enough. Remember, for TV, it's the recording, not just the song, that has to stand out.When you think film and TV, you basically have to ask if it sounds good enough to play on the radio without anyone hearing as a "demo." I'm not saying the quality is bad, I just don't think it's where it needs to be for film/TV. And I do really like the song... PS I would like nothing better than to be wrong here! Casey

thesucker

Post by thesucker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:16 am

Right on, Casey! Thanks for the critique. Interesting that you brought up the recording quality...is that what you meant? Regarding the guitar not being pro enough, do you mean like adding flourishes or little licks to make sound more pro? Just curious...again, thanks.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:26 am

Hey, I think your song sounds pretty much what the listing is calling for. I submitted for the same listing, I think yours stands a better chance of being forwarded than mine. I wrote & recorded this pretty quick (a few hours) just for this listing. It's very short but I was thinking that for the intended purpose that might not be important. Anyway, here's the link to mine if you want to check it out - billghttp://www.broadjam.com/transmit/transmi....7353&yhgbndsq=1

thesucker

Post by thesucker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 am

No way, Bill, I think your's has a way better chance. Great vocals and harp, man. Cool tune, man. Nice lyrical nostalgia too. Yeah! Nice work, man.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:48 am

Thanks, but I'm not so sure, it might be too country "hymnal" or something. I had read a quote fom Bob Dylan where he said that many times when he was stuck, or blocked, he would rely on hymnal structure. Anyway, thought if I gave it a shot from that angle that it might be what they were looking for. It turned out like I wanted it to; live, earthly, spiritual sounding in an old traditional sort of way, BUT after I submitted it I started second guessing myself. Then I listened to yours . . . NOW I'm Really second guessing myself. Noticed in your bio that your a Westerburg fan, me too. His manager/producer is an aquaintance of mine, used to be his bass player. Shoot me an email through my Broadjam site and I'll tell you a cool story. www.broadjam.com/billgauncelater-billg

kouly
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kouly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:26 am

Cool, my first post. After listening a second time I think it is perfect for the listing and I think you have a good chance at the cue. Personally I think the performance as in the playing of theguitar is fine. I do think the recording of the guitar could be better. How did you micit? It does not seem bright enough and seems pushed back a bit too much. I will beposting a piece with some acoustic guitar in it soon, so I will look forward to seehow people think I did. Who did the backup vocal, also very nice. Overall that is a great effort.

koopaloop

Post by koopaloop » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:56 pm

Liked the song....The guitar was fine, at least I thought so.In fact, I thought it was great until I read Hurowitz post and actually listened to it hard........but thats whats wrong with us musicians. Were always listening a little too hard.You know, people watching the scene are more interested in whats happening on screen than the guitar in the background being a little unbright. As long as the music serves the emotion of the scene, It'll work.But I cant really comment, since Im a brand new member. So I really dont know too much yet. And perhaps Hurowitz is providing great insight for you...............But if those guitars aren't "pro" enough for TV, Im packing my bags tonight........cuz mine blow compared to those...

thesucker

Post by thesucker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks everybody for the feedback!I think someone asked how the guitar was recorded:ribbon mic on 8-9th fret, 6" in frontLare diaphram between sound hole and bridge 6" outApogee pres/converters (ensemble)Interesting criticisms about the guitar! Listening again and again, I can see why it might sound too in the background. I kind of hope this is also a by product of mp3...the performance is pretty lightly played in the first place; those tracks can't afford any loss in dynamic range, one of the first things to die in mp3 conversion. Monitoring at home, it doesn't seem problematic, but the mp3 (through same monitors) is pretty lack luster. But that excuse aside, maybe the part needed to be performed more loudly and up front. The brightness thing confounds me...it's already too bright for my taste! I mixed it for the too bright generation, or so I thought. Crap. Again thanks. As much as I, like all of us, love the idea of forwards, fame, and $, getting critiques from you folks, that I don't know and who (via the distance of the internet) have no reason to be anything other than objective, is gold!kelly

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by walter327 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:22 am

My main problem with many artists is the lack of diction and projection so their lyrics get through to the ear. I really like the melody alot. It creates a sad, searching sort of mood and is clear. I just can't glue the song together because I can't understand all of the words. You have a very nice, whispery voice in this song that deserves to stand out. The lyrics deserve recognition so the story reaches out to the audience. Just my humble opinion!! Walter327
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....