The Aub Delane Disorder – First Symptoms Detected

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

The Aub Delane Disorder – First Symptoms Detected

Post by aubreyz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:38 am

So for those who haven’t kept up with my saga here is a quick synopsis. After a decade off, last summer I revived my personal music ambitions. After joining Taxi in the fall, and through reviews, relationships and other helpful input I have been experimenting with different styles, improving my writing, working on updating my vocal style etc. One of my goals was to establish a band. I could always bring session players in as a finishing touch, but my desire was to form a creative team. There have been many hopeful glimpses of that along the way, but nothing ever materialized.Over the past few weeks the band seems to have come together. We’ve been experimenting as time permits and the chemistry is working. This weekend we spent a few hours jamming, and on a whim wrote and “rough” recorded a new song. The cool thing is, I contributed very little to the overall chord structure of the song at first and yet the style seems to fit well with the kind of stuff I’ve been writing. I’m posting this to get some feedback before we go back in to record it for real. The working band name right now is the Aub Delane Disorder - or ADD for short. Another top name candidate is Velcro Psychosis Disclaimers and observations:1. I haven’t fixed anything yet. This was the 2nd full take after we had worked out the song structure so the rhythm and some parts are not as tight or as interesting as they will be. I also added the breakdown third verse with an edit so the transition is rough. The cello part doesn’t fit in places – we’ll add guitar overdubs to add some variety. Sound quality is not what it will be either – for instance the guitar was direct with just a pedal and is too noisy (we’ll amp for the real deal), cymbal mics were in a small booth for convenience, etc…2. I finished the lyrics and cut this vocal track after the band left – not a keeper vocal by any means, but I am using some different recording techniques to get a less brittle more balanced tone to the vocals.Our target market is alternative rock. As always, feedback is very appreciated. Thanks. My Dichotomy Verse 1I don't want to flyI just want to be a fly on the wallI don't want to jumpSo why do you have to jump to conclusionsI don't want to dieBut I don't think I can live like thisHalf ChorusMad at the HatterCause nothing ever matters to meLife is my dichotomyVerse2I don't need you to lieJust believe when I lie to myselfI don't need you to trust in meJust don't rely on my trust in youFull ChorusMad at the hatterCause nothing ever matters to meUnder the ladderOn the sidewalk of lucky streetLife is my dichotomyBridgeVerse 3Don’t know if I can hold onThere’s too much that I can’t let go ofChorusI don’t want to fly

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The Aub Delane Disorder – First Symptoms Detec

Post by gitarrero » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Hey Aub,Just listening...VersI like the melody of the versthe bassline doesn't really fit in some notes, there is too much disharmony that gets the attention (instead for the melody, which I like). Also the Basssound is too much in the foreground.ChorusI thought this was the pre-chorus - it is sung in quite the same range like the verse, I miss a real chorus-line/hookconclusion: I would suggest to build up the song from the melody in the verse, cut down the bass in the verse to the essential and add a good chorus-hook. I really do like the melody in the verse, it sound kind of unusual, interesting.Hope that helps!cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Quote:Hey Aub,Just listening...VersI like the melody of the versthe bassline doesn't really fit in some notes, there is too much disharmony that gets the attention (instead for the melody, which I like). Also the Basssound is too much in the foreground.ChorusI thought this was the pre-chorus - it is sung in quite the same range like the verse, I miss a real chorus-line/hookconclusion: I would suggest to build up the song from the melody in the verse, cut down the bass in the verse to the essential and add a good chorus-hook. I really do like the melody in the verse, it sound kind of unusual, interesting.Hope that helps!cheers,MartinHey Martin. Thanks for the input. You have a good ear. The bass in the verse is hitting a dissonant part of the chord by design, but the cello and piano are not adding that to the chord structure. It should clean up on the final recording, or we'll take the bass to the root there.The chorus isn't exactly a formula hook. At first I really liked it, but yours is just one of several comments that echoed the same thing. I think I've found a solution, but it will be a few days before we record again.Thanks again for your comments.Aub

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:54 am

Holy S**t Aub.... that mix is incredible on my system.... that is the first time I ever heard instruments pan out in surround..... the guitar solo was like awesome both in execution but especially in the mix.....!!!! Was there a trick to that? My system here at the office is an imac with the built in speakers... not like a set of studio monitors.... sounds great, one of the best mixes I've heard on this system bar none....I like the lyrics all the way through.... but I have to admit.... I don't know the meaning of "dichotomy" without going to the dictionary to look it up..... Keep rockin' ArkJack

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:46 pm

Quote:Holy S**t Aub.... that mix is incredible on my system.... that is the first time I ever heard instruments pan out in surround..... the guitar solo was like awesome both in execution but especially in the mix.....!!!! Was there a trick to that? My system here at the office is an imac with the built in speakers... not like a set of studio monitors.... sounds great, one of the best mixes I've heard on this system bar none....I like the lyrics all the way through.... but I have to admit.... I don't know the meaning of "dichotomy" without going to the dictionary to look it up..... Keep rockin' ArkJackThe mix technique is actually pretty simple. Getting space in the guitar part is a matter of tracking both the distorted signal and the clean direct signal, each mono. On mix, pan the distorted signal hard to one side - completely dry. Then bus the clean guitar through a stereo amp simulator (with a different tone) with a touch of amp reverb and pan both channels to the other side (and adjust the stereo balance of the two different distorted signals as needed). Also be sure and roll off 150hz and below to give the bass and kick some room.Aub

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Welll........ a funny thing happend on the way to....I don't know how many of you do reviews of songs in broadjam... but the set you up to listen to someone's work anonymously .... and after you review, you can see who did the song.... So I just got done this review of an absolutely awesome song... The Promise... I go to check it out as to who the artists are.... Velcro Psychosis.. who are bandmates giving due credit to our own Aub D.... Aub can post the link to their page.... great guys your working with Aub good luck...ArkJack.

opensky
Active
Active

Post by opensky » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:59 pm

Hi Aub,I heard one of your earlier versions of this song and i thought at that time it had real potential. Now this sounds a lot better and has real promise. The recording is real nice too. Keep up the great work!

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:01 am

Quote:Welll........ a funny thing happend on the way to....I don't know how many of you do reviews of songs in broadjam... but the set you up to listen to someone's work anonymously .... and after you review, you can see who did the song.... So I just got done this review of an absolutely awesome song... The Promise... I go to check it out as to who the artists are.... Velcro Psychosis.. who are bandmates giving due credit to our own Aub D.... Aub can post the link to their page.... great guys your working with Aub good luck...ArkJack.It's a small world They are great guys and very talented. It's interesting that even though Jim and Marlone and I are from Oklahoma City, we got together because we heard each other's stuff on Broadjam's top 10. Last night we were laughing because we actually emailed each other at almost exactly the same time, so the "hey I'd like to meet" emails crossed in cyberspace. Jim is the drummer and also the vocalist on much of their songs. Marlone plays 7 string bass and about anything else with frets. For those interested their Broadjam page is:http://www.broadjam.com/artists/artisti ... ID=33756or homepage www.merjermusik.comThey suggested this guitar player they had been working with. His name is Ponco Satrio. He's from Indonesia but is in OKC as a Jazz Major. He's a monster. You can check out his page here:www.poncosatrio.comThe "band" is really beginning to gel. It's not a solo project anymore . We're going in a better direction together than any of us could separately. Right now we are writing and working out the "sound" more than doing serious recording, but I really believe that what is happening here is magic - still quirky, but yet more commercial and accessible than my solo stuff. And to think... it's all because of Broadjam btw- Velcro Psychosis has given way to this name - Facts Machine (the working album title is Jam):Aub

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:16 am

Ahhh,,,.......uhmmmm???...If like... Lightning Hopkins is the name of like a great blues guitarist.... Ponco should have a nickname like E=mc2..... Yeah..... Ponco "E=mc2" Satrio..... he's pretty terrific... monster is almost understating it.. you guys are putting together a powerhouse... ArkJack

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:21 pm

Quote:Also be sure and roll off 150hz and below to give the bass and kick some roomAub,What does rolloing off mean?