Song Updated! | Alternative Rock | Speak to Me

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Song Updated! | Alternative Rock | Speak to Me

Post by aubreyz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:56 am

Quote:3. The vox are getting there. Have you thought about almost speak-singing the first part? I love the epic, powerful, emotional delivery in the second half, but for me (and me only of course), the falsetto/vibrato attack in the beginning doesn't work. It sounds like a mime in a park or something. Please don't take that wrong, you can obviously sing! And wait 'til I start posting mixes; I'll dream of that mime reference!Okay... next time I cut vocals, I'll lose the white gloves and clown face makeup.... (funny sidenote, I once cut vocals in a straight jacket to try and get the feel I was looking for )I'm not sold on the falsetto thing yet --- though I have this sound in my head that I've not been able to make happen on the hard drive yet. I do know that a more soto voice thing, down a step or so will work, so that safety net is there. Unfortunately I've been so busy with other productions, I've not been able to spend a whole lot of time getting this right yet. Just for some background, I'm pushing myself as a vocalist right now into some new areas--- the falsetto thing being one of them. I grew up singing gospel, traveling with my family. Was classically trained in High School and College and did quite a bit of opera and musical theater. Went somewhat techno in the eighties, lot's of vibrato pretty voice stuff (which I now hate btw). Evolved into grunge in the nineties with more grit and some eighties metal kind of vibrato (which I also now hate) -- for the last ten years, it's been mostly Christian Praise and Worship kind of stuff, or for the last few years mostly studio work. So what I'm doing now is to combine all those influences into an updated commercial vocal. It's a little difficult to produce your own vocals. It's easy for me to change gears and sound very different, but it's hard to know what actually sounds the best. Just yesterday someone was listening to some of my productions for work, and some of my originals as well. The comment was - "you sound like a different person on a lot of these tracks". That can be good and bad.Thanks for your input -- mime and all!Aub

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:05 am

Quote:Quote:3. The vox are getting there. Have you thought about almost speak-singing the first part? I love the epic, powerful, emotional delivery in the second half, but for me (and me only of course), the falsetto/vibrato attack in the beginning doesn't work. It sounds like a mime in a park or something. Please don't take that wrong, you can obviously sing! And wait 'til I start posting mixes; I'll dream of that mime reference!Okay... next time I cut vocals, I'll lose the white gloves and clown face makeup.... (funny sidenote, I once cut vocals in a straight jacket to try and get the feel I was looking for )I'm not sold on the falsetto thing yet --- though I have this sound in my head that I've not been able to make happen on the hard drive yet. I do know that a more soto voice thing, down a step or so will work, so that safety net is there. Unfortunately I've been so busy with other productions, I've not been able to spend a whole lot of time getting this right yet. Just for some background, I'm pushing myself as a vocalist right now into some new areas--- the falsetto thing being one of them. I grew up singing gospel, traveling with my family. Was classically trained in High School and College and did quite a bit of opera and musical theater. Went somewhat techno in the eighties, lot's of vibrato pretty voice stuff (which I now hate btw). Evolved into grunge in the nineties with more grit and some eighties metal kind of vibrato (which I also now hate) -- for the last ten years, it's been mostly Christian Praise and Worship kind of stuff, or for the last few years mostly studio work. So what I'm doing now is to combine all those influences into an updated commercial vocal. It's a little difficult to produce your own vocals. It's easy for me to change gears and sound very different, but it's hard to know what actually sounds the best. Just yesterday someone was listening to some of my productions for work, and some of my originals as well. The comment was - "you sound like a different person on a lot of these tracks". That can be good and bad.Thanks for your input -- mime and all!AubI would like to hear some of your,vibrato,pretty stuff Aub.It was obvious to me you have an excellent voice I just didn't care for that type of song which is more mood than melody.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:31 am

Quote:I would like to hear some of your,vibrato,pretty stuff Aub.It was obvious to me you have an excellent voice I just didn't care for that type of song which is more mood than melody.Okay -- against my better judgment, here's a flashback circa 1991Love Sabotage I'm snowed in here--- must be freezing my brain. Aub (can't believe I just posted this) Delane

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 am

Quote:Quote:I would like to hear some of your,vibrato,pretty stuff Aub.It was obvious to me you have an excellent voice I just didn't care for that type of song which is more mood than melody.Okay -- against my better judgment, here's a flashback circa 1991Love Sabotage I'm snowed in here--- must be freezing my brain. Aub (can't believe I just posted this) DelaneCan't get it to play Aub.Can you put it on MySpace or post your Soundclick, address?

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:03 pm

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:37 am

Quote:Try thishttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm? ... 70252Great Vox Aub but the song still isn't quite my cup of tea as we say this side of the pond but that's not to say it isn't a great song.Just wasted on me.

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:14 pm

Lyrics: 8/10I like the lyrics a lot, probably cos Ilike playing with words, double meanings, puns etc.Commerciality: a factor zero. 0/10Vocal performance. Falsetto is not the easiest to pull off.. 6/10Genre: there are so many, I dont have a clue . Its not pop its not Blues it aint folk. Its a kind of Electronic Social comment ..In the way that folk protest was in the 60'sJ