Please enlighten us

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Please enlighten us

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:15 am

What's so silly here is The Divys got an A&R exec to actually listen to their songs. Without TAXI, would that have happened? So, they actually got a major benefit for their membership fee!! The Divys: TAXI is not the best or preferred route for everyone. With no sarcasm intended, if you can get your material listened to by the right A&R folks on your own, you can ask TAXI for a refund and pursue that path. Actually, all TAXI members should also market their material every possible way, outside of TAXI, and no one at TAXI would advise you otherwise.Rejection sucks... The ones who have succeeded have learned how to deal with it and move on.Casey

augustheat
Impressive
Impressive

Post by augustheat » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Quote:who are you freaks? do you work for taxi? if not, go away before i fart in your general direction. i could give a crap if they like our songs or reject them. if you read my post maybe you wouldn't be getting self-righteous on me. I want to know how we can not be passed along for being 'too electronic' when the listing mentions electronic acts in it such as depeche mode & tom tom club. no hostility here. just want to understand the logic behind the comments for not passing us along since we pay them.Okay, "thedivys." Take a deep breath and chill for a second...First off, don't be so rude! You may have the chops, but your professionalism leaves a little something to be desired. It wasn't us who called your baby ugly! It really doesn't matter whether or not YOU think you fit the requirements of the listing does it? It's up to the screener or person making the decision. Do they get it right all the time? No, they don't.In this case, the actual person, not a screener, reviewed your stuff and said it didn't fit the criteria. Don't try to figure him/her out. It will just make you crazy, especially if it turns out YOU'RE right! TAXI doesn't owe us anything more than the opportunity to submit our babies and get an occasional critique. You have to learn to take it in stride, and not get so defensive. Regardless, there's no need to go off on people in here. We're all shooting for the same thing. So please be nice, or I'll tell Santa you've been a bad divy...Blessings,
Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:04 pm

"Persistance is the trait where most people fail. Instead of calling it persistance, you might think of this as 'getting used to rejection'. (Blake from Human Factor)

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:21 pm

Quote:I want to know how we can not be passed along...Passed along to whom? The listing party is the one who didn't think your music was an appropriate match for his needs. In your own words, read the listing again...Taxi has nothing to do with these rejections.You're starting to sound a lot like a troll (despite your fairly reasonable posts in the past), so in case you somehow don't realize: you're now closing doors for yourself AND your band instead of opening them. How would they feel about what you're doing to their reputations?AndrePS - To those who think the only thing that matters is the quality of the music, think again. I know of at least two extremely talented composers/performers whom no one in the music business will touch because of their bad attitudes. In fact, the memory of the Divy's music is already starting to become tarnished in my own mind...too bad; I used to like the way it sounded.
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:17 am

I have to chuckle a bit because one of the lines to your song is "Move On." No offense, Divys, but I don't think anger will get you anywhere. Sure, it's valid to post a complaint. Everyone has a right to complain if they see fit to do so. I'm a new member. I really have very neutral feelings toward TAXI because I haven't been a member long enough to form an impression about them yet. Even though I read these posts that could influence me, I have to make my own conclusions. But I think anger is conterproductive. It will get you nowhere....I'd direct all that indignant energy and use it to your advantage. Write a song about being really pissed off 'at the forces that be.' When I got my first non-foward by TAXI, I was really bummed. I brooded about it, not because I was mad at the screeners, but because I was so disappointed. But oddly enough, it was a catalyst to me writing 10 new songs, LOL. No, not about being upset with TAXI, but songs about 'the struggles of of life. There are going to be many more rejections. At least, your song made it to a company president screening....(I think that's what I read).....how many folks would get that opportunity? Expect more rejection in the future, I certainly do...if you hang in there, you'll eventually be successful if your music is good. And remember, most successful songwriters had to wait YEARS before they got a song on the radio. Sorry, I tried to click on your link and listen to your music, and my computer is so slow....I finally have speakers now, but no dice.

thedivys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by thedivys » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:40 am

Oi! You guys are still talking about this and not even getting it still? We've had tons of rejections. it's part of the game.We've had 11 submissions forwarded by Taxi in one year. we're not angry, we're not unable to deal with rejection. it just makes no sense that we weren't passed along because we were 'too electronic' when the listing says, 'Depeche Mode, Tom Tom Club & Ministry'. Hello! If they aren't electronic, I don't know what is.So please, don't post another reply about moving on or getting over it or that we need to deal with rejection. it's not the point and it's useless typing.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:00 pm

Quote:Oi! You guys are still talking about this and not even getting it still? it just makes no sense that we weren't passed alongYOU'RE not getting it. I repeat: Passed along to whom? The listing party (meaning the end client) is the one who said no to your song...NOT Taxi. Quote:it's not the point and it's useless typing.That's becoming more clear with each of your responses. Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Quote:Oi! You guys are still talking about this and not even getting it still? We've had tons of rejections. it's part of the game.We've had 11 submissions forwarded by Taxi in one year. we're not angry, we're not unable to deal with rejection. it just makes no sense that we weren't passed along because we were 'too electronic' when the listing says, 'Depeche Mode, Tom Tom Club & Ministry'. Hello! If they aren't electronic, I don't know what is.So please, don't post another reply about moving on or getting over it or that we need to deal with rejection. it's not the point and it's useless typing.I think it's pretty clear that you are angry with the guy who rejected your songs. You are angry because you feel that his judgement of your songs seemed to you like it was not based on fact. Here's a tip. Many people feel uncomfortable coming outright and telling songwriters and artists that they don't like their songs. So, they make up something/anything at all that sounds kinder than coming right out and saying that they don't like a songwriter's songs. He probably didn't want to hurt your feelings so he made up something to let you down easy. That may be why his critique doesn't seem to make sense to you. It was probably an attempt to soften the blow. You should be aware that this was probably an attempt by this person to make you feel better and to be nicer to you than just outright telling you that he thinks your songs stink. I haven't actually listened to your songs so please don't think this is my judgement of them. Regardlless of how good or bad your songs are, one thing is clear. This person didn't like your songs and he doesn't want to use them. End of story. If you ever get the chance to watch the first few minutes of a movie called "Tootsie" it's a good example of how rejection is handle by some people. The main character, Michael, is trying to get an acting job. One place tells him he's too tall. Another place tells him he's too short. He says he'll wear lifts and they still don't want him. One place tells him he's too old and another place tells him he's too young, etc. But, the bottom line for this guy is that he has a reputation for being a hot head and no one in the industry wants to work with him anymore. No one is telling him outright. They just give him lame excuses every time he shows up anywhere for an audition. Finally, he has to dress as a woman to get a part in a soap opera because no one will hire him because of his a bad attitude. Other than his difficult personality, he is an extremely gifted actor. It's an excellent movie. And there is a moral to the story. A bad attitude can close every door for you. Try to be more gracious and understanding and think of the other person's needs the next time you face a rejection. The person who is rejecting your music has specific needs for their projects. Some of your material might be just right for their next project but if you make a bad impression right off the bat, they may not want to give you another opportunity. No one wants to work with someone who appears hard to handle, even if they are extremely gifted.

sounddesign3

Post by sounddesign3 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:46 pm

With all this excitement I couldn't help but go and listen to the tracks. Man, the listing mentions Ministry? Dont, get me wrong, your tracks are sweet. They are clean, uptempo, great dance songs, but far from any style that would compare to Ministry. Yes the listing mentions many artists, but the fact that Ministry is on there tells me that the are looking for something a little more industial with the pulsing disco feel. Its Possible

thedivys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by thedivys » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:28 am

um...yea. no kidding. We aren't ministry. but they also list The Killers, Depeche Mode, Tom Tom Club...man are you guys thick.