Turning Circles Demo - Help us shape it

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Turning Circles Demo - Help us shape it

Post by rockmann » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:52 am

Yes, folks... me again.I mentioned we had two demos and this is the other one. Again, the song is in it's early stages (solo needs replayed for example) and we'd be grateful for input to help shape the tune. This one is called "Turning Circles" and is again in the Rock (Hard) genre. http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamm3 ... q=hiLyrics: She starts the long walk alone Trying to select the correct path And a direction that will let her Avoid the silent wrath Her existence has all but ended Passing time has caused no one to forget Everything that has transpired Or forgive what she has done [Chorus] Turning Circles Turning Circles Turning circles; the truth denied Turning circles; what grows inside As she performs the unspoken Evil it is she's forced to concede Looks from those she once knew Now as though they're strangers She knows they know about her Her presence there only angers The town it shivers deep in coldness Since the day she changed it all What no one could have guessed To her loved ones would befall [Interlude] Now they all know about her secret The knowledge repulses each one How could she have done all this Which can never be undone Now she's a mere reflection of herself Gone is the loving family of three She 'seemed so nice' they said Guilty though, yes, they all agree [Solo] [Chorus] Turning circles; the truth denied Turning circles; what grows inside As she performs the unspoken Evil it is she's forced to concede Turning circles; the truth denied Turning circles; what grows inside As she performs the unspoken Evil it is she's forced to concede

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Turning Circles Demo - Help us shape it

Post by rockmann » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:40 am

Hey all...I would really love some input on this song if you have the time. I think this one has some interesting possibilities, but the no comments are starting to make me wonder.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi there,I just tell you something quick about the music:1st verse: I would make the groove (mainly bass/drum/git) more in 8ths. I think that would give the track more homogenic. At the moment it doesn't really groove in my ears.2nd verse: the first chorus is good hearable (..sorry I'm not an english native... I mean: the listeners easily hears that it's the chorus;), but then the arrangement starts to become unclear... is that another verse after the first chorus..? Brindge, Interlude..? So in conclusion I would take care of the groove and the arrangement, clear it more out.hope that helps!cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:12 am

RockermannI won't profess to know enough that my comments are helpful. I suffer from the same problems in production of my rock tunes. The one thing that was "in my ear" on this tune was that the melody line is mono theme .... needs range between the notes. Like I say, I have the same problem and there are techniques of melodic analysis that can point to some devices that will help the tune. By the way, the guitar solos are great, though I know you have some spots you think can be better.... but I was like "wow" great solo!ArkJack

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:15 am

Quote:1st verse: I would make the groove (mainly bass/drum/git) more in 8ths. I think that would give the track more homogenic. At the moment it doesn't really groove in my ears.2nd verse: the first chorus is good hearable (..sorry I'm not an english native... I mean: the listeners easily hears that it's the chorus;), but then the arrangement starts to become unclear... is that another verse after the first chorus..? Brindge, Interlude..? Thanks, Martin. I understand what you're saying. This song kinda grew from a bass line and took on it's own shape. It is a bit out of then ordinary when it comes to the arrangement. I'll see if we can straighten that out a bit.Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:19 am

Quote:RockermannI won't profess to know enough that my comments are helpful. I suffer from the same problems in production of my rock tunes. The one thing that was "in my ear" on this tune was that the melody line is mono theme .... needs range between the notes. Like I say, I have the same problem and there are techniques of melodic analysis that can point to some devices that will help the tune. Our vocalist, Dee does all of this own melodies. He's really very talented. If you get a chance, check out a couple of our other songs and see what you think. On this song, I think it was his intention to be sorta mono with the melody. It is a rather 'dark' song/story so I think he was trying to get that across in this manner.Quote:By the way, the guitar solos are great, though I know you have some spots you think can be better.... but I was like "wow" great solo!Hehe... thanks. By the time you heard this, I had already replayed the solo and updated the song on the web site. Yes, they're much better than they were. I'm actually really happy with how the solo turned out in the end. Thanks for the compliments!!Thanks for the reply.

sounddesign3

Post by sounddesign3 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:18 am

Dude! You guys are great musicians. However, If I were a record label looking for a fresh sound. The first thing that would come to my ears would be the fact that it sounds dated to me. Usualy that dated element is introduced by the singer. Maybe I'm just a weenie, but I could copy and paste this reply to 90% of the rock bands on the internet. Somehow Rap continues to progress, and now rules the world as far as popularity, yet metal/rock somehow is the same ole thing year after year!

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:12 am

Quote:Dude! You guys are great musicians. However, If I were a record label looking for a fresh sound. The first thing that would come to my ears would be the fact that it sounds dated to me. Usualy that dated element is introduced by the singer. Maybe I'm just a weenie, but I could copy and paste this reply to 90% of the rock bands on the internet. Somehow Rap continues to progress, and now rules the world as far as popularity, yet metal/rock somehow is the same ole thing year after year! Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the reply.Yeah, we know our stuff tends to have a dated feel to it. But you know what? I think we all pretty much agree that if it's between sounding dated or sounding like the 'modern' rock/metal out there, we'll take the dated.The whole project started out as just a way for a couple of guys to collaborate on some guitar playing across the internet. Now we have 5 members in 3 countries and 5 unique locations. We're doing this to please ourselves. If something comes from it, like a TV or movie placement (in a period piece most likely), then that's great. But if not, then we're still having a blast making some good music.Again, thanks for the comments. They're pretty much dead on.

sounddesign3

Post by sounddesign3 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:13 am

5 members in 3 countrys? Sweet. Is it hard to keep things going like that. It sounds fun. I just shack up in my little studio and lock the doors! Most respect,SD3

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:28 am

Quote:5 members in 3 countrys? Sweet. Is it hard to keep things going like that. It sounds fun. I just shack up in my little studio and lock the doors! Yup.. three countries. The US, Finland and Scotland. It's funny, being separated around the globe seems to keep the fighting to a minimum. It's not really hard to keep things going. Sometimes is a bit frustrating as you wait for the next persons part. Plus, you're subject to their time schedule (or it being the 12 hours later there). Plus, it's hard to do any 'real time' jamin'. I mean, you can't just start playing stuff where everyone adds things and says, "Oh! This would work great there!" But other than that, it's works pretty well. One of us will come up with a song riff/idea and record it to a click track or basic drum loop. Then that wav is passed back and forth via our FTP site where the others then record their parts to wav and pass back to me for mixing.So, we're all kinda locked in our own studios ourselves. Just in 5 different locations. And at different times.